Teams users cannot sign in if using personal account

Copper Contributor

Anyone have any luck with this? Know of a work around? Anything know if this is a known issue and if a fix is on the way?

Once again Microsoft Support has lived up to my expectations so I'm reaching out here.

Create a meeting invite link and share with a bunch of people. When clicking on the link the user is presented with options to download Teams, use the web or open with the Teams App. This applies to the Teams App link.

Users with business accounts, and users who join as guest work without issue. On the join meeting window there's a link to sign in for a better experience. Clicking this link show a signing in page either indefinitely or for a while and reverts back to the join meeting window.

It appears that signing in to a Teams meeting with a personal account (Outlook.com, Gmail) simply is not supported. If this is the case I would expect a message to say this but I suspect this is a bug in  Teams.

8 Replies

@kiwiant 

Not sure if the blog is still relevant: Introducing new features in Microsoft Teams to connect you with friends...  But I believe you could test by using the mobile app instead. It could be so, that Microsoft private accounts (outlook.com / hotmail.com / etc..) are not yet expected to be working.

@Petri X I would expect Outlook.com to be working as one of the screen shots shows an Outlook.com account :smile:

Signing into Teams is not the issue, the issue is trying to sign in from the Join Meeting window (Sign in link at bottom of Guest join window).

@kiwiant did you solve this problem? I'm experiencing the same thing

@erica1995 on iOS/iPhone (and I assume Android) the Teams App allows both work and personal accounts without issue. The desktop is a different story as there are 3 apps and various changes so annoying confusing especially for someone who uses the same device for work and personal.

Teams for Work or School (called Microsoft Teams with purple icon) - Only allows work accounts even on the New Teams app.

Teams for Home (called Microsoft Teams with purple/white icon) - Only works with personal accounts. There was a free version which I think worked with all accounts, but they killed that.

Chat from Microsoft Teams (called Chat) - Built into Windows 11 and I think being replaced by Teams for Home. Supports Personal accounts only.

It would have been nice to have one tool but have moved on and now use iMessage, Skype (yes still a great tool) and Signal for personal use.

Good day
Does someone have a solution for this problem. I have Teams for Private and home use and today was the second time I could not connect from the desktop app to an organization. As I am running a small business, it is very important for me to be able to use Teams to connect to organizations or get invited to their project meetings.
Please , can anyone assist

@SeanBosbeer 

I have the same problem. It is causing me no end of problems as I use Teams as a sole trader :(

@AnGal1090 

I managed to find a work around.

Firstly open a Private Window or Incognito window in your favorite browser. I have used Chrome and Edge.

Then copy the link for the meeting you received into the Private window. If it asks if you want to open the App, say no. Stay in the browser. Then agree that the browser may use your camera and microphone and you are set to go. You can now have a Teams meeting with anyone.

Hope this helps you

@SeanBosbeer Thank you so much, I'll give this a try!