SOLVED

Teams URL links not clickable

Brass Contributor

Hi,

I am having an issue with a users Laptop where in Teams when they receive a message with a URL link and the link isn't clickable and open a web browser, However when you send the same message gets sent to another user the link works fine.

This on a HP laptop running Windows 10 using the Chrome browser as default.

I have fixed this twice before by reinstalling Teams but I don't want to have to keep doing this. Does anyone have any ideas that can help?

Thanks in advance

7 Replies
Hi @richard1991

Sounds bizarre considering it's working elsewhere. Could I ask

1.) Does it work in the users web (teams.microsoft.com)/mobile client?
2.) Does it work by simply cleaning/re-pasting the link?
3.) Does it work by textpadding the link then copy pasting it to Teams?
4.) Is the link a 'simple' link such as 'https://www.microsoft.com' or it is copied and pasted off something like YouTube with a long URL?

Would be interested to know more

Best, Chris

Hi @Christopher Hoard

Thanks for the reply. It has had me stumped!

1.) Does it work in the users web (teams.microsoft.com)/mobile client?

It does work in the web browser.
2.) Does it work by simply cleaning/re-pasting the link?

not sure what you mean by this?
3.) Does it work by textpadding the link then copy pasting it to Teams?

Or this sorry. The user can copy and past the link in the web browser and it will work fine.
4.) Is the link a 'simple' link such as 'https://www.microsoft.com' or it is copied and pasted off something like YouTube with a long URL?

Its nomally a long URL. However when I did a test send of a simple www.google.com the user still cant click it but shows as a link in the messages still!

Thanks

Richard

best response confirmed by richard1991 (Brass Contributor)
Solution
Hi Richard,

Thanks. If it is rendering as a link in the message I would ask

1.) Does a simple log out/log in work?
2.) Does a clearing of the cache work (https://commsverse.blog/2018/09/28/clear-the-microsoft-teams-client-cache)

You said a reinstall works - but as you said a reinstall isn't a good solution and can't be expected every time - neither is clearing the cache every time if that works. My feeling is that if 1 and 2 doesn't work then it would be a ticket to support. Links should work and be clickable every time it is core functionality

Let me know how it goes

Best, Chris

@Christopher Hoard 

The login and out didn't work.

However using the Powershell script and clearing the cache did the job.

I fear it may happen again but fingers crossed this permanently solves the issue! 

Thanks for your help, I appreciate it.

With regards to Microsoft support, do they charge for this or would they be willing to help if I needed to escalate this in the future? And how do we go about contacting them?

Thanks

@Christopher Hoard  I have the same issue on a mobile device. One of my users has this issue on an iPhone 11. Do you have any advice for that? Or is it a reinstallation of the app that solves this? He tried to reset the app but it didn't take. It's really a fly in the ointment! 

/ Rikard

@richard1991 

I'm having this same issue. I have SharePoint sites linked as tabs in Teams and when people use Teams in the web browser version none of the links are clickable. The work-around seems to be "right click" and "open in a new tab". Ideally, it would open with one left click. 

Has this issue progressed at all? 

Thanks,

Andrea

This has been a known issue since mid 2019. Why has Microsoft not provided a fix within teams. I have multiple flows (power automate) that post links to team channels when news items are released. They are all posted as a Link to URL but none are clickable and I have searched the internet for a solution but nothing is forthcoming. I have raised this multiple times in various forums here and no solution and its now February 2021? Come on microsoft, if you want us using MS teams (instead of going to other competitive solutions) start giving us what we need (not what you think we need).
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by richard1991 (Brass Contributor)
Solution
Hi Richard,

Thanks. If it is rendering as a link in the message I would ask

1.) Does a simple log out/log in work?
2.) Does a clearing of the cache work (https://commsverse.blog/2018/09/28/clear-the-microsoft-teams-client-cache)

You said a reinstall works - but as you said a reinstall isn't a good solution and can't be expected every time - neither is clearing the cache every time if that works. My feeling is that if 1 and 2 doesn't work then it would be a ticket to support. Links should work and be clickable every time it is core functionality

Let me know how it goes

Best, Chris

View solution in original post