Teams Together Mode License Requirements

Brass Contributor

Hi Community!

I have been looking for the license requirements for Teams Together Mode feature but I did not see any article. May I know what license is needed? 

And what will happen if guest users join the Teams Meeting? Will they their video show in the together mode?

Any help will be highly appreciated. Thank you!

2 Replies

Hi @Mary_Yvette - I'm pretty sure that together mode is included in all Teams licenses (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

However, there are some other requirements - 

As for guests, they can see together mode, as long as there are 4 people from the same tenant in the meeting already. 

Also, if anyone is using a web browser (typically a guest) to join the meeting instead of the Teams app, then they won't see together mode - yet (see this article for details: Teams Web Meetings Update Delivers Gallery View and Together Mode Features - Petri)

@Mary_Yvette Hi, in addition to the previous reply this (Together mode) wasn't possible a couple of months ago being on GCC or using Teams free, but everywhere else I think. I have a Teams free org. and when scheduling a meeting right now I can see the option (greyed out though as I haven't sent out any invitations). The same goes for my personal Microsoft account using Teams, it's there.

So I would say Together mode (in other words the new meeting experience) seems to be available for all subscriptions.

As for the guests and externals it won't work for an external user as far as I know. Only with a guest user as the latter has a account in Azure AD. Haven't done any test with an external user though. Maybe I have to do that now :)

And just a heads-up that guest access in general are controlled by your IT admins. And Teams meetings follow the "Meeting options" set per meeting (end-user controlled) or by using Teams policies (IT admin controlled). That goes for guests, federated, anonymous users etc. meaning the lobby settings and so on can be adjusted.

Btw, see this for online experience (web) Now in public preview: Together Mode and Large Gallery for Web Meetings - Microsoft Tech Community

Hope it helps!