Teams - settings to make a new chat pop up to the foreground in Windows 10

Copper Contributor

Hoping someone can help with this. We just started moving to Microsoft Office software, and I'm trying to figure out how to make the Teams chat window pop up to the foreground in Windows 10 when a new chat comes in. All of our previous chat software has had this capability, but I'm stumped trying to locate it in Teams so far. 

Without the chat window popping to the foreground, I'm finding that chats are being missed constantly, and I need to be able to quickly see a new chat message, so I can assist members of my team as fast as possible. The banner and feed notifications alone are not going to work for our group.

8 Replies
You can toggle the pop put chat behavior under Settings > General > Open new chat in > New window.
Appreciate the response. I changed this setting, but it doesn't seem to have changed the behavior of the Team's chat window; with teams minimized or in the background, a new chat does not cause the window to pop up. Would this only apply to new chats that we're not previously open in teams? Usually we have many existing chats running throughout the day, and I'm missing the latest message because Teams stays minimized
Did you figure this out? I am constantly missing chats as well. I wish I could set it up to bring to foreground direct chats addressed to me (don't care about group chats).

@alekdavis No, I don't think this option exists currently in Teams. Nobody seems to have any suggestions anyway

This has been an issue for as long as Teams exists, I don't understand why is it so hard for Microsoft to make this a possibility,
I don't like my users using WhatsApp for business related stuff but not having a proper notification when you get a new message or reply makes Teams chat unusable for us.

@SignalsIT What's wrong with the Windows notifications? I have mine set  (in accessibility) to stay on the screen for longer and when I click on them it takes me to the message thread. Popping a window to the top would take control from the application I might be using, surely that would be annoying.

I also filter down what I get notified about pretty heavily so I only get banners for things I am likely to need to respond to.

StevenCollier_0-1676368125578.png

The message being in the bottom right is not sufficient.  It needs to POP UP in the middle of the main screen in the foreground in front of everything you are doing to call attention to the incoming message.  Whether it sits in the bottom right of your screen for 5 seconds, or 5 hours, it doesn't interrupt the user to call attention to the message.  Thus, the Windows notifications is not sufficient to accomplish this task.

Microsoft team, please add the ability to have all incoming messages through teams interrupt the user with the message in their face!  This is what a lot of companies need.

A client calls in while I'm on the phone, front desk sends me a message.  I don't see that message for a day or three because it doesn't jump up on my screen.