Teams Settings do not persist / Office Applications crashing

Copper Contributor

I work in an IT-Company. We are currently evaluating Teams and Slack. Both free accounts, not integrated in our domain structure.

The problem we have with Teams is that, if "Integrate with Office " is switched on Word, Excel and Outlook crash on startup (we use Office 2013 and Office 2017).

If we disable the setting, the next time we log on, the setting is enabled again. If we update the setting it holds until the next logon on the PC. 

This problem is making us trending towards Slack, despite there are more Features in Teams.

Any help welcome (by reply, DM or mail).

Thank you

Sven

2 Replies

Hi,

"Integrate with Office", is that a setting somewhere? Or  is it the "Register Teams as the chat app for Office" setting in Teams?

Do you have the same problem on all computers that you are testing with? If not you could try to uninstall Teams and clear cache. https://blog.valeconsulting.co.uk/2018/09/28/clear-the-microsoft-teams-client-cache/

Since it is Office applications that crashes make sure that they are updated with the latest updates. 

@Linus Cansby 

I just changed the Language in Teams form German to English to get the correct label of the setting.

It is in the settings dialog of the Windows Application, Tab General and called "Register Teams as the chat app for Office (requires restarting Office applications)". 

It is reset, after a Windows Login, or a switch between Teams (I disabled it in both). The setting for White or Black Theme of the app is persisted. It is strange.

Thank you for the reply. Yes it affects all computers. The Office Applications are patched automatically by the IT-Department.

I love Powershell, I will review and run the Script on your Blog. 

Thanks

Sven