SOLVED

Teams Room Theme picture severely cropped & pixelated using 4K monitor

Copper Contributor

We just installed some new Teams Room equipment that are using 80" 4k displays. We are trying put in a custom theme picture for the idle screen to use, but it keeps getting cropped and pixelated. We can't seem to find any similar controls to the ones for Windows backgrounds where you can control the Stretch/Fill/Extend type options. Pictures being used are 3840 x 2160 pixels. Anyone have ideas on how to correct this?

TIA

John R

4 Replies
best response confirmed by Therese_Solimeno (Moderator)
Solution

@John_R007 

Teams Rooms on Windows only support one image size of 3840x1080. While there are 4K displays, the Teams Rooms application will only show 3840x1080 (1920x1080 as the wallpapers are designed for dual display rooms). More info on this can be found at: https://www.ericmarsi.com/2020/01/19/configuring-custom-themes-for-microsoft-teams-skype-room-system...

I would also check on your displays to make sure they aren't attempting to auto-zoom in or alter the image.

Below is a custom wallpaper that I have made for the organization I work for to give you an idea as well of what the MTR is looking for. If you only have a single display, only the right side will be shown:

CR_MeetingRoom_Dark.png

Thanks Eric, I'll look into your recommendations
4K possible when Microsoft Teams Rooms version is 4.16 and higher and SINGLE Screen.
Needs also specific *.jpg

SPECS:
If *.jpg exported whatever software with %100 quality, then maybe you will not make this "up and running". So take standard Microsoft Paint, open your 4K jpg wallpaper and SAVE it.

Knowleadge:
https://learn.microsoft.com/microsoftteams/rooms/custom-backgrounds?tabs=Enhanced
To avoid cropping of background images, use the following image dimensions (based on 1080p display standards) for each screen aspect ratio respectively:
• 16:9 – 1920 x 1080 px (minimum image dimension required for room displays)
• 21:9 – 2560 x 1080 px
• 3:2 – 1920 x 1280 px
• 16:10 – 1280 x 800 px (minimum image dimension required for room consoles)
If a 4K image with a 3840 x 2160 px dimension is applied to a 4K display, the full image will be shown. However, if the dimensions of the image and the display do not match, the image scales to fill the frame while preserving the image aspect ratio (without letterboxing) and/or the image is cropped from the center. For example:
• If a 1080p image (1920 x 1080 px) with 16:9 aspect ratio is applied on a 21:9 display, the image scales to fill the frame without distorting the image, and is cropped from the center
• If a 4K image (3840 x 2160 px) is applied on a 1080p display, the image is cropped from the center
Note that once these new custom background XML settings are applied, the legacy custom theme settings will be disregarded. For more information, see
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Therese_Solimeno (Moderator)
Solution

@John_R007 

Teams Rooms on Windows only support one image size of 3840x1080. While there are 4K displays, the Teams Rooms application will only show 3840x1080 (1920x1080 as the wallpapers are designed for dual display rooms). More info on this can be found at: https://www.ericmarsi.com/2020/01/19/configuring-custom-themes-for-microsoft-teams-skype-room-system...

I would also check on your displays to make sure they aren't attempting to auto-zoom in or alter the image.

Below is a custom wallpaper that I have made for the organization I work for to give you an idea as well of what the MTR is looking for. If you only have a single display, only the right side will be shown:

CR_MeetingRoom_Dark.png

View solution in original post