Teams Room System (formerly SRSv2) does not recognize externally hosted Teams meeting

Copper Contributor

Hi All,

At times, we receive Teams meeting invites from people outside of our organization and we would like use our MS Teams Room System (formerly Logitech SmartDock Skype Room System v2) to join the meeting. 

What we have been doing is we forward the Teams meeting invite sent by the external organization to the room resource, manually accept the invite from the room resource's mailbox, and the MS Teams Room System recognize the invite as a Teams meeting (the Teams Room UI shows a "Join" button and an MS Teams logo instead of  "..." button ). All good so far. 

Going forward, I want the room resource to process those forwarded external Teams meeting invite automatically which has been resolved by executing the following powershell Cmdlet : 

Set-CalendarProcessing -Identity "Room 221" -ProcessExternalMeetingMessages $true

However, now every time we forward an externally hosted Teams meeting invite to the room resource, the Teams Room System does not recognize the invite as a Teams meeting (the Teams Room UI shows a "..." button instead of a join button). I've done the steps outlined in this article (https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Skype-for-Business-IT-Pro/SRS-V2-externally-hosted-meetings/m...) as well but it's still not working. 

Has anyone else experienced this issue or know how to fix this ? 

Update: We have had some occurrences where the Teams Room System does not recognize the external invite as a Teams meeting when we accepted the invite manually within the room resources mailbox.

Cheers,

Brian 

28 Replies

@MADrouin 

Thanks everyone for the feedback and tips.

We already have all these settings in place (and have for a couple of months), still not working for us.

We will have to go with the ticket option, would be nicer if Microsoft just published something definitive about something so core to Teams.

Thanks again

Mark.

@Mark Taylor 

I just made the following changes here, which seems to have resolved the issue on our Logitech TAP for Teams setup:

- Under Safe Links settings, added teams.microsoft.com URL to not be rewritten

- The Delete Comments under get-Calendarprocessing is $false (has been the whole time)

We will now test more on all our Teams room setups, I'll post back here if we find other things...

@Dan Hansen 

Hi Dan

Thanks for the update, this *worked*!

The critical piece as everyone suspected is the Safe Links.

For reasons I cannot explain, any external meeting request inbound arrives and can be accepted by a user and Teams for the user will process it just fine.

However even with internal safe links disabled, if you forward that meeting to a Teams Room System it wont recognise it as a Teams meeting.

I added the 'teams.microsoft.com' to the external don't rewrite list, re tested and it worked.

Still works for the user, and now works for the Teams Room system as well.

Thanks to everyone for all of your suggestions and help!

Mark.

@Mark Taylor @Dan Hansen  

I can also confirm this fix has worked. 

We added teams.microsoft.com to safelinks ignore rewrite list and adjusted the mailbox settings as recommended in step 3 of this microsoft article: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/rooms/with-office-365

After 30 mins we were able to forward external meeting requests to our Logitech Tap unit (SRS) and the join button was present.

We have experienced the same kind of problems at a customer and found earlier this year that forwarding of meetings are working from Outlook Web Access, but not from Outlook on the computer. The Outlook version at this time was 1908 build 11929.20708. After upgrading to Outlook version 2004 build 12730.20520 the problem was fixed.

The problem has now however reappeared on Outlook version 2008 build 13127.20638. Forwarding of meetings by use of Outlook Web Access is still working Ok. Seems like the problem is related to the Outlook version on the computer.

Detailed walkthrough of the problem is described here: 
https://skotheimsvik.blogspot.com/2020/05/teams-room-system-does-not-recognize.html

I have been in touch with the head of product (partner director) Microsoft Teams Devices at Microsoft, mr. Ilya Bukshteyn. He told me they had pretty extensive code for SfB meetings to follow links and figure them out, but for Teams apparently they only implemented string matching. They are looking at this now. Hopefully a fix will be available pretty soon.

Is there a support document available on web which I can refer @Mark Taylor 

We had a problem with similar symptoms: when an external invitation was forwarded for VC equipment, the device did not recognize the MS Teams link as valid. We found out that customer email security rewrites the URL of the invitation. So we added an exclusion to "https://teams.microsoft.com" on the email security portal, and the problem got fixed.