Teams - renamed user still displayed with old name

Copper Contributor

I renamed user in 365 admin centre, the new name is correctly displayed in Teams admin centre but - in the Teams, the old name is still used everywhere even for new posts, when adding to new team etc. Any help?

9 Replies
Did you change display name too?

@Tom733 I'm having the same issue with one account. Did you ever find a resolution?

@Tom733 

I am having same exact issue. Changed Name, DisplayName properties in OnPrem AD. Everywhere else the new name show up correctly, NOT just in Teams for few users. 

@Tom733 

I have the same issue too.  Has anyone been able to resolve this?

@Tom733 

I'm have the same issue, just with one account.

@CeriCosway 

I learned two things:

1. It looks a long time (a week may be) to show up the changed named in Teams

2. Users who already have chatted with the user who changed name, their HISTORY will show the old name. If they start a new chat, it will show new name.  Supposedly clearing the Teams cache should resolve the issue.  

@HappyHappyMan what cache files did you delete 

are the one from Teams folder 

@p_065 Here is how clear the Teams cache:

• Windows:

1. Close Microsoft Teams completely by right-clicking the Teams icon in the taskbar and selecting Quit.
    2. Open the Run dialog box by pressing the Windows logo key +R.
    3. In the Run dialog box, enter %appdata%\Microsoft\Teams, and then select OK.
    4. Delete all files and folders in the %appdata%\Microsoft\Teams directory.
    5. Restart Teams.
  • MacOS:

1. Close Microsoft Teams completely by right-clicking the Teams icon in the dock and selecting Quit.
    2. Open the Terminal by launching the Finder, clicking Applications, and then clicking Utilities.
    3. In the Terminal, enter rm -r ~/Library/Application\ Support/Microsoft/Teams, and then press Return.
    4. Restart Teams.