SOLVED

Teams Release Management

Copper Contributor

Hello Community,

My profession is Cloud Application Release Management.  I've found release management for Teams to be difficult to track (From a release management perspective). I've been unable to locate a source that discusses upcoming releases of the Teams Clients, and when they will be released. Not just features updates, but client version changes.

Am I alone in my plight? How is the community handling the Teams client versions release management? What have you found that works for you and your business?  Have you found a reliable and consistent resource that provides information about upcoming Teams Client releases ahead of time? One that shows releases versions for different platforms like Windows desktops, MacOS, Mobile, Citrix, etc...

From what I've been able to find

• The Roadmap is generic in it's release time frames and does not include information about Teams Client version release dates, it discusses only new features, and feature updates. 
  • The Teams Release Notes site, explains features that are just released (but again doesn't give you notices of forthcoming Client version updates).
  • The Tech Community like above, discusses new and forthcoming changes but lacks information regarding hard dates of forthcoming client version releases.

I'd love to participate in a group that focuses on this subject matter, if one already exists please let me know!

Thank you!

5 Replies
best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution
Hi @AaronThorne

In short, there is no unified site or app with which to monitor changes for Microsoft Teams across all versions, all clients, or all servicing channels (TAP, Public Preview, GA). There is no authoritative source in the difference between clients and client versions (I.e. Desktop/IoS/IPadOS/Android/VDI). Most of us use a mix which includes, but which is not an authoritative list, the M365 Roadmap, Message Centre, Docs.com, Tech Community, the Microsoft Teams Blog and Teams Uservoice. In terms of Teams updates Microsoft provides this on docs.com

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/teams-client-update#:~:text=Teams%20desktop%20client....

I don't know if any groups to discuss service release management exist. There are some great groups around that may be interested. I run Teams Nation along with Adam Deltinger, Vesa Nopanen and Chris Webb who would be interested if you wanted to run a session. Teams ACM Europe with Karoliina Kettukari and Alexander Eggers would probably be interested too. But since Teams is such a broad overarching application very few I know are specifically focussed on release cadence. So I would find Teams usergroups, two of which I have named, join them and get going on a session about the challenges of release management

Hope that helps and answers your question

Best, Chris

@AaronThorne absolutely a total pain in the.. Well you know.   Also the VDI version does not match the cloud version.  Makes for frustrated customers.

Yes, this is a vast recurring subject not only in this community. Seen tons of comments about the Teams desktop client updates, and a couple similar posts here as of today. And I totally agree. Much to be done in this space. Ranging from more specific and detailed update process info (I’ve seen the docs) to version release history, the client updates, the backend updates, the new features minimum client version etc.

@AaronThorne I am also interested in this subject and would be interetsed in joining any discusssions. I am currently  trying to map changes listed in Teams uservoice, the roadmap, message centre, what's in public preview, whats moved into GA and what platforms the change impacts.  

Shame there is not a central open source database we could pull from. 

We've found for VDI news and updates, it's best to reach out to Citrix directly.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution
Hi @AaronThorne

In short, there is no unified site or app with which to monitor changes for Microsoft Teams across all versions, all clients, or all servicing channels (TAP, Public Preview, GA). There is no authoritative source in the difference between clients and client versions (I.e. Desktop/IoS/IPadOS/Android/VDI). Most of us use a mix which includes, but which is not an authoritative list, the M365 Roadmap, Message Centre, Docs.com, Tech Community, the Microsoft Teams Blog and Teams Uservoice. In terms of Teams updates Microsoft provides this on docs.com

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/teams-client-update#:~:text=Teams%20desktop%20client....

I don't know if any groups to discuss service release management exist. There are some great groups around that may be interested. I run Teams Nation along with Adam Deltinger, Vesa Nopanen and Chris Webb who would be interested if you wanted to run a session. Teams ACM Europe with Karoliina Kettukari and Alexander Eggers would probably be interested too. But since Teams is such a broad overarching application very few I know are specifically focussed on release cadence. So I would find Teams usergroups, two of which I have named, join them and get going on a session about the challenges of release management

Hope that helps and answers your question

Best, Chris

View solution in original post