Teams REFUSES TO SIGN-IN

Copper Contributor

Every now and again, Teams refuses to sign-in.  It gets "confused" because I have a personal Outlook account and a professional Office 365 account, apparently.

I've signed out, deleted windows credentials, deleted everything in %appdata%\Microsoft\teams, and IT STILL WON'T SIGN-IN.  What is the fix to keep this from happening?

This is ridiculous.

Rodger Benavides

6 Replies
What does it mean, won't sign in? What's the message?

I have a personal and work account loaded at the same time and it works fine in the desktop app, i.e. I can use them both and tenant switch as well as I'm part of other organizations with those accounts (being a guest in those orgs.)

What could be the case is that you've got some accounts added in your computer under "Account settings". You can remove those not needed or not being the preferred account. If applicable you could use browser profiles as well, keeping the accounts separated. Or InPrivate windows too.

You also use this reset script for a quick fix, simply copy and paste it into PowerShell and hit enter https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/scripts/powershell-script-teams-reset-autostart

Keep in mind to sign out manually and also quit the Teams desktop app occasionally (right-click icon bottom right). That will refresh settings and clear some cache keeping the client more consistent.
What refuses to sign in means is when I'm opening Teams, I get the goofy image of the sad guy with the hat, and the message, "We're sorry-we've run into an issue." There is a button to try again, which fails. Or, there is the message, "If that doesn't work, try signing out and back in."

I've signed out. I've closed Teams, and ensured it's closed from Task Manager. I've ensured my personal outlook.com credentials are removed from credentials manager, and I've cleared the Teams folder. I will try the Powershell fix.
I am not the admin, so the PowerShell option doesn't look like something I'm going to be able to use.
If you even checked your computer's -> Account settings <- as mentioned earlier that's some odd behavior here. If you'd like try forcing an update by using either of these links. https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ItzLevvie/MicrosoftTeams-msinternal/master/defconfig

You will fall back to your associated update ring/version when the auto-update process kicks in 1-14 days generally speaking.
Thanks for the snark. I've already checked account settings, though I did not mention that as part of my actions above. In accounts as in credentials, Windows shows my personal Outlook email account and my work account. In accounts, I've set my personal to apps have to request access to use this account. Whenever I remove it, it gets added back. Now, I do not know if that's Edge that's adding it back, or Teams when reopening it.

I'll try uninstalling and reinstalling Teams to see if this fixes the issue.
Okay. Uninstalling Teams, clearing out the cache folder, and reinstalling it from one of the links in the githubuser link above worked. I did check when uninstalling, and the last time I was forced to do this was on April 14th. So, I'm getting 15 or so days between this occurring.

I'll mark the above option as the best response.