SOLVED

Teams recordings failing or going into Stream

Brass Contributor

So as per https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/tmr-meeting-recording-change  tenants should be uploading to Onedrive now. However, we are seeing strange behaviour:
- Sometimes recordings work and go into OneDrive
- Sometimes it says failed to upload, and a temporary recording is available.
- Sometimes it is still going into Stream

We haven't changed any policies, but as far as I am aware all recordings should be going into OneDrive automatically so I guess there is an issue here.

15 Replies
best response confirmed by Therese_Solimeno (Moderator)
Solution

@halbp Hello, this is how it's supposed to work Use OneDrive for Business and SharePoint for meeting recordings - Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Docs

All Teams meeting recordings are now being stored in OneDrive/SharePoint, Stream is not an option for storage anymore according to the official documentation. If the storage process fails for some reason, the recordings are instead being stored in Azure for 21 days before deletion and during this time accessible from the chat or conversation. You'll need the proper license for the services included.

I general I would start by looking at the assigned policies. That is, what Teams meeting policies are your users assigned and is the parameter -RecordingStorageMode set to "OneDriveForBusiness". If they really end up in Stream (not only temporary in Teams, i.e. Azure Media Services) even though this shouldn't be possible, regardless of the above parameter, you better open up a support ticket with Microsoft.

If the parameter used is set to Stream and still uses Stream for storage I would also reach out to the official support as that's not the expected behavior going forward according to the official documentation.

Troubleshooting assistance for admins

Self-help diagnostics for Teams administrators - Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Docs

Edit* Product team is now aware of the bug and will look into it asap (why auto-record puts the recording in Stream regardless if all policies are set to OD). They also suggested to provide this info using the Feedback feature in the Teams client (Help, bottom left corner).

Sorry I mistyped above but as far as you say all recordings should be saved in OneDrive/SharePoint, but we are sometimes seeing it fail and sometimes seeing it still uploaded to stream. As far as I can see from the article no one should ever have recordings saved to stream and yet this is still happening.
Hi, I would start by looking at the assigned policies. That is, what Teams meeting policies are your users assigned and is the parameter -RecordingStorageMode set to "OneDriveForBusiness". If they really end up in Stream (not only temporary in Teams, i.e. Azure Media Services) even though it shouldn't be possible regardless of the above parameter you better open up a support ticket with Microsoft.
Yes that is set to Stream, but as you say it shouldn't end up Stream anyway as that option is supposed to have no effect now.
I did some more investigation, and if the user sets the meeting options to record automatically, then the recording is saved in Stream, I can see it there and I get an email from Stream with the location. If they start recording manually, it goes into OneDrive.

And yes, I have verified myself that the recording does indeed end up in Stream. So this seems to be an error, I am going to log a call.

Have you tried setting the policy to ODB anyway? I'm wondering if that's what's causing it, regardless of what the documentation states. If you have and it's still happening, could you please post an update here when you find out why this is happening?

Update:  Our global policy has RecordingStorageMode set to "Stream" and we are seeing this behavior with auto recording as well.  I switched to a policy that is set to "OneDriveForBusiness" and the account now correctly records to ODB.  I'm guessing that if you're currently configured this way and change that your policy setting to OneDriveForBusiness, it will fix your problem.  The documentation states this setting is now irrelevant, but apparently not.

@DaveTheTeamsGuy yes did the same and now all recordings go into OneDrive. Documentation appears incorrect as you say.

This is not the correct answer and not sure why it was marked as such
@Therese_Solimeno can probably fix that ;)
Off for Thanksgiving. I've updated the "best response".
@ChristianJBergstrom opening a support case with MS is a good step to make them aware of what appears to be a bug with the policy. Since this appears to only affect auto-recorded meetings, I would add to your response that a quick fix for those having the issue with auto-recordings landing in Stream (which @halbp initially noted then verified) would be to change the RecordingStorageMode attribute in all meeting policies to "OneDriveForBusiness".

Already in there, meaning I assume that admins did the necessary config in their Teams meeting policies. The storage change of Teams meeting recordings from Classic Stream to OneDrive and SharePoint was completed August, 2021 and before that date there was literally no way of overlooking that information as an IT administrator.

Sounds good. This definitely seems like a miss as it only appears to affect auto recording. I'll do the same, however I imagine they'll ask to submit a Premier case so they can track it.

Okay update. I had to verify this in a test tenant. All actually works as it should, even if I have Stream as storage mode in the Teams meeting policy with "Stream" the recordings end up in OneDrive and SharePoint, so the article is right about that.

But... if I select "Record automatically" it ends up in Stream no matter what my Teams meeting policies says. Surely a backend issue here. I've informed the Teams team about this detail. Will update when they reply (perhaps after Thanksgiving).

@ChristianJBergstrom great, definitely looks like it was missed, at least if the doc can be updated in the meantime to say that the setting still needs to be set to onedrive as well.

@DaveTheTeamsGuy Product team is now aware and will look into it asap (why auto-record puts the recording in Stream regardless if all policies are set to OD). They also suggested to provide this info using the Feedback feature in the Teams client (Help, bottom left corner).

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Therese_Solimeno (Moderator)
Solution

@halbp Hello, this is how it's supposed to work Use OneDrive for Business and SharePoint for meeting recordings - Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Docs

All Teams meeting recordings are now being stored in OneDrive/SharePoint, Stream is not an option for storage anymore according to the official documentation. If the storage process fails for some reason, the recordings are instead being stored in Azure for 21 days before deletion and during this time accessible from the chat or conversation. You'll need the proper license for the services included.

I general I would start by looking at the assigned policies. That is, what Teams meeting policies are your users assigned and is the parameter -RecordingStorageMode set to "OneDriveForBusiness". If they really end up in Stream (not only temporary in Teams, i.e. Azure Media Services) even though this shouldn't be possible, regardless of the above parameter, you better open up a support ticket with Microsoft.

If the parameter used is set to Stream and still uses Stream for storage I would also reach out to the official support as that's not the expected behavior going forward according to the official documentation.

Troubleshooting assistance for admins

Self-help diagnostics for Teams administrators - Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Docs

Edit* Product team is now aware of the bug and will look into it asap (why auto-record puts the recording in Stream regardless if all policies are set to OD). They also suggested to provide this info using the Feedback feature in the Teams client (Help, bottom left corner).

View solution in original post