SOLVED

Teams recording switching sides back and forth

Copper Contributor

Hi,

For the first time today, the video recorded through Microsoft Teams kept switching sides back and forth depending on the person talking. For exemple, when I talked I appeared on the left and my guest on the right, but when he talked he appeared on the left and me on the right. This is very distracting when you watch back the video, does anybody know what led to this situation and how I can make sure it doesn't happen in the future ?

Thank you,

Luc-Etienne Rouillard Lafond

18 Replies

@lelafondrouillard 

Since the community has not yet responded to your post, you might want to seek assistance with other resources that are focused on tech support:

• Ask your IT manager to open a support case or call Microsoft using the support line you were given.  Other options for business subscription admins are listed here:

Get support | Microsoft Docs

https://support.serviceshub.microsoft.com/supportforbusiness/create

Same exact thing happened to me for the first time this week.

@Craig1210 same thing has started happening to me in just the last ten days. 

best response confirmed by Therese_Solimeno (Moderator)
Solution
Same problem for us - we analyse the recordings and it's made this really difficult. The temporary workaround is to spotlight the other speaker (right click on their video for the menu options). This doesn't affect the live meeting but then the switching does not occur in the recording. The only downside to this is that the spotlighted video in the recording is much larger than the other(s).

@DavidN68 , Very good tip. Thank you!

This still needs resolving by Microsoft - it shouldn’t be happening and I haven’t got the spare storage space to try this to for all my videos each day unfortunately. 

I misunderstood your solution David sorry, as spotlighting is new to me. I will give that a go in my next meeting thank you. As you can spotlight more than one person does it work if you spotlight both, in terms of then not having one larger than the other? Or does this then return the issue of side swapping?

Hi @Squarepeg. I agree it still needs resolving my Microsoft. I have a support ticket open with them so will update when I get some progress.

In terms of spotlighting both. No, it doesn't work. The problem returns when you do that, annoyingly. 

We are also experiencing this issue and we need a fix soon. We record training sessions and its very distracting when the 2 video presenters keep switching back and forth on the recording.

@Adam Young this has still not been fixed for me - has  it for you? Driving me nuts! Workaround doesn’t work for me as I only have 2 people in meeting, so need to see them both at same Keven 

@Squarepeg It has not been fixed for me either, which is a real shame as the work around doesn't work for me either...

@lelafondrouillard @Squarepeg @Adam Young I've been back and forth with the break fix team for several weeks. Given advice about using Pins which clearly doesn't work. Had to send them videos showing this before they would believe me. Spotlighting is the only 'solution' I'm afraid as this is suddenly a new feature. This is what I received after several exchanges -  use the link to make our case. We're building a Teams App to work around it completely. Thanks Microsoft!

26 May 2022

We recently released a feature called Presenter Modes in April 2022; here is a link to the Microsoft Roadmap:

I had the chance to also engage our next tier of support, and they agree that this is what you are running into.  This is a new feature and Microsoft Teams is going to behave this way for the foreseeable future.

We are not going to be able to do anything from a Break-Fix point of view.  What you can do is leave feedback for the Developers by going to this link:

Because this is by design, why don't we go ahead and close out your ticket.  

@DavidN68 @lelafondrouillard @Squarepeg We have given up. This is so frustrating that they roll out things that can make a big change to a business process without the option to disable or opt out of it. I get that you need to improve the product but give us an option not to use a new "feature".

Going to put in feedback for the developers but I don't have much hope.
That’s madness! It’s a feature?! It’s driving me nuts! I currently only pay for office 365 business to get the recording function in Teams. It is the only thing I need the paid version for. I think given this outcome, I will have to explore an alternative video call platform that I can record on - perhaps zoom or something, and cancel my 365 business. Thanks very much for passing on the outcome.

@DavidN68 wondered if you had found any workable solution where there are only two people in the meeting? Spotlighting one makes one tiny and one huge, so isn’t really workable in a 2 person meeting. Thanks :smiling_face_with_smiling_eyes: 

Spotlighting doesn’t work for me as I only meet with one other person, so it needs to be equal sized video windows. Surely that can’t be the idea?!

@Squarepeg 

Spotlight will be a workaround for 1:1 call, but if you have more than 2 participants, it might not help.

Fix for this bug will be rolled out with next release of Recording feature asap.

Sorry for this issue. 

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Therese_Solimeno (Moderator)
Solution
Same problem for us - we analyse the recordings and it's made this really difficult. The temporary workaround is to spotlight the other speaker (right click on their video for the menu options). This doesn't affect the live meeting but then the switching does not occur in the recording. The only downside to this is that the spotlighted video in the recording is much larger than the other(s).

View solution in original post