SOLVED

Teams puts caller on hold when Windows displays a notification

Copper Contributor

I have a user whose team client puts the caller on hold every time his computer (Windows 10) displays a notification (New email, ...). This is the case even when he uses Teams on his smartphone; if his computer receives a notification, the call gets put on hold.

I've checked the notification settings, tried office repair with no avail. What can I check next?

16 Replies

@JeremyC42 

Since the community has not yet responded to your post, you might want to seek assistance with other resources that are focused on tech support:

• Ask your IT manager to open a support case or call Microsoft using the support line you were given.  Other options for business subscription admins are listed here:

Get support | Microsoft Docs

https://support.serviceshub.microsoft.com/supportforbusiness/create

Hi Jeremy, did you find any solution to this issue. Am facing the same and its frustrating, hope some one can help.

Hi @JeremyC42 and ratheeshchandra0181 did you find a solution? I am facing the same issue and it is driving me nuts.

@JeremyC42 

Did you find any solution for this issue?

In the Teams settings, there is a "Appearance and Sound" / Notification style - just tried to change that from "Teams built-in" to "Windows". Lets see how that works

@MarEri 

In my case it looks like it was the opposite: I have set the notification style to "Windows", and after some random update Teams started to put me On-Hold for any notifications... Your comment made me remember that. I changed it back to "Teams build-in" and now I don't experience the On-Hold issue anymore. \o/

EDIT: Premature celebration. Issue still happens, only less frequently. It's *very* annoying. 

@rsenna74 

Do you use a jabra headset on that PC? We have the same issue when the user is calling with Evolve 65.

@OnkelOnken Ha! Yeah, you're right on target, that was indeed the case. I figured it out without your comment actually, but it's good you mentioned it here anyway, so it might help other folks. Also, at least in my case, issue happens only on bluetooth mode - once I turned my bluetooth off and connected my headset with a USB cable, the issue stopped for me.

I have this issue now and with Evolve 65. So frustrating.

@SussiA 

I have been able to resolve it on my laptop by making sure the "Playback Device" is the same the device used for the Teams call. Apparently there are multiple devices listed for the headset. When both (in teams and system audio) are set to Headset Earphone Jabra Link 380 it doesnt interrupt the calls anymore. And it does play the notification sounds during the meeting. I have not experimented yet with setting notification sounds to for instance "PC Speakers" if that would also work. But it is definitely interupting the calls / putting it on hold, when the playback device is set to another jabra device in the list than the one mentioned above.

best response confirmed by JeremyC42 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@ArniSmit 

Hi there!

I think I've solved this issue.. well, at least I did for my colleague!

We have Jabra Evolve 75 headsets with the same issue.

1. Ensure USB dongle is connected to your PC.

2. Go to Bluetooth settings on your PC.

3. Under Audio, 'Disconnect' and 'Remove' the Jabra Bluetooth connection with the HEADSET ICON (Note: USB-Connected Dongles have the SPEAKER icon, leave that one alone. My dongle is named Jabra Link 380) 

4. Open Sound Settings on your PC, set 'Output' and 'Input' device to Jabra Link 380.

5. Open Teams > Settings > Devices - select the Jabra Link 380 as the 'Speaker' and 'Microphone'.

6. Either use Teams built in audio tester or jump on a test call with a colleague to confirm all is working!

I would highly recommend that you only use the USB dongle and headset together for calls on a PC and not connect your PC with the addiditonal Bluetooth function (found by pushing the power button away from the 'off' side).

The reason for these issues is when you're on a Teams call and receive a windows notification, the call is on the 'Dongle channel' and the notification is trying to make sound through the 'Bluetooth Channel'. This can be compared to when you're playing music through a Bluetooth speaker and you get a phone call, the music stops and the call may come out the phone instead.

Hope this helps!!

Amy

@OnkelOnken I am on a Jabra2 Evolve 85, same issues the past month or so...

Hi,

unfortunately the ticket is long gone, I don't know how the user got it sorted, and I don't remember his name. However he was indeed using a Jabra headset, and your answer seems to fit the issue, so I'll mark it as best. Thank you!
I had/have a similar Problem with my Jabra Evolve 2 65 Flex:
I have the Ev2 connected to my computer AND to my phone via Bluetooth.
Teams works totally fine.
Whenever a Windows Notification pops up, my *phone* will put the current call On Hold.

After fiddling around, I found that while the headset is connected, my Windows 10 will display 3 Audio Devices:
* Headphones (Me J.Ev2 65 Flex Hands-Free) << was default
* Headphones (Me J.Ev2 65 Flex Stereo)
* Loudspeaker (Synaptics Audio)

The hands-free option was the default and exhibited this problem.
When I simply switch the audio device to flex-stereo, the Notification do no longer interrupt an active call on the phone.
The normal audio is still routed through the headset and teams also works.

So it seems this is a "feature" of the audio device.

I hope this is helpful to someone. #xkcd979

@amyobrien

I’m facing the same issue encountered by one of our users while using Microsoft Teams for calls, alongside other third-party call applications.

The problem occurs when the user gets a Windows notification. Ongoing calls gets interrupted unexpectedly and putting the call on hold. Despite our attempts to troubleshoot, including using a Jabra Evolve 85 headset disconnected from other devices, the issue persists. We suspect it may be related to a Windows sound feature.

Additionally, we've noticed another concerning issue regarding incoming Teams calls. When a user is already engaged in a Teams call and receives another incoming call within Teams, the existing call is abruptly terminated, and the new call is automatically answered. This behaviour, seemingly initiated by Teams itself, has caused significant frustration and confusion for our user.

I don’t know what to do here I’m lost?!!!!

I solved it by disconnecting my Jabra device from the mobile phone (disconnecting was enough, removal was not necessary). Now I can use by Airpods via my mobile phone and follow the slides via my laptop.

I hope this helps

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by JeremyC42 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@ArniSmit 

Hi there!

I think I've solved this issue.. well, at least I did for my colleague!

We have Jabra Evolve 75 headsets with the same issue.

1. Ensure USB dongle is connected to your PC.

2. Go to Bluetooth settings on your PC.

3. Under Audio, 'Disconnect' and 'Remove' the Jabra Bluetooth connection with the HEADSET ICON (Note: USB-Connected Dongles have the SPEAKER icon, leave that one alone. My dongle is named Jabra Link 380) 

4. Open Sound Settings on your PC, set 'Output' and 'Input' device to Jabra Link 380.

5. Open Teams > Settings > Devices - select the Jabra Link 380 as the 'Speaker' and 'Microphone'.

6. Either use Teams built in audio tester or jump on a test call with a colleague to confirm all is working!

I would highly recommend that you only use the USB dongle and headset together for calls on a PC and not connect your PC with the addiditonal Bluetooth function (found by pushing the power button away from the 'off' side).

The reason for these issues is when you're on a Teams call and receive a windows notification, the call is on the 'Dongle channel' and the notification is trying to make sound through the 'Bluetooth Channel'. This can be compared to when you're playing music through a Bluetooth speaker and you get a phone call, the music stops and the call may come out the phone instead.

Hope this helps!!

Amy

View solution in original post