Teams Powerpoint Preview Problem on macOS Catalina

Copper Contributor

Hi,

I upgraded to macOS Catalina and am having problems previewing Powerpoint content inside of Teams. When I clock to view content it starts the initial load (spinning circle) then flashes the content for just a second then the screen preview screen pane goes black. I am able to click "EDIT" and the edit function inside of Teams correctly renders the content and I am able to edit inside of Teams.  I tried the preview w/Excel as well and it works fine, problem seems to be constrained to Powerpoint only. 

Anyone else having the problem?  Any solution in site? 

Running: 

27 Replies

@jdr2019 

I'm having a similar issue with Word files and PDFs that contain pictures. Just goes to a Black screen. Deleted all files that relate to the Teams app (Preferences, Caches, Application Support, etc..). The issue went away for a while but returned. 

Currently running MacOS Catalina and Teams version 1.2.00.22561.

@sonyp @jdr2019 

Correction...It's now happening to all PDFs.

@jdr2019 same issue here... and I heard the same from other colleagues... hope Microsoft can fix it soon

@jdr2019 

Same problem ... file preview except for Excell files gives a black preview screen. Have tried to remove the app and all related files ... and re-installed. Worked for a short while. Then black again. Uses the last versions of Catalina and Teams. 

@jdr2019   Yes, I'm having the same problem since upgrading to Catalina.

@jdr2019Same here, black screen occurs after the powerpoint presentation has been loaded.

@jdr2019 Exactly the same problem here: at file preview of Word, Powerpoint and PDF files the screen goes black. In edit mode (which doesn't work for PDF's obviously) the file is visible again. Tonight I installed the last Catalina patches, the problem still exists.

@jdr2019 Same problem, after 10.15 update. Black screen on both preview and edit modes. Extremely frustrating.

@jdr2019 Teams automatically updated this morning for me. Opening Teams included a new Privacy statement dialogue box to "Enable optional connected experiences". This seems to have fixed the issue as I'm able preview Word and pdf files again. Sorry, I don't have any powerpoint files in Teams. This option can also be enabled in the Privacy settings in the Preferences of any Office app.

@jdr2019 Teams is now version 1.2.00.28528

@sonyp Great!!! That update is not yet available for me :( . ... Hope I can receive it soon.

@sonyp When will this version be available in the Netherlands? My version is still 1.2.00.22561, no updates available

@RuudAmsta Sorry, I don't have answer to that. The update was automatic. I only noticed it because of the Privacy Statement that appeared when I launched the app.

Exact same issue. @jdr2019 

Latest update does not resolve issue. 

Microsoft Teams Version 1.2.00.22561

@JeffChristie 

@jdr2019  I had this problem also. I discovered a workaround which is to use Dark Mode - a bit strange but it totally restored the ability to preview documents within Teams

that one is not the latest... @JeffChristie 

however, the latest is not available to everyone already... 

based on previous posts this is the latest  Teams is now version 1.2.00.28528

@Rafael_Bernardinelli *shrug* I still don't have the latest version, and manually checking for updates and reinstalling doesn't help. So annoying. For me this is not just PowerPoint but ANY preview (e.g. Word, PDF, etc)

Hey.
I did a workaround and it worked for version 1.2.00.22561. I deleted MS teams then I deleted all related files:
/ Users / _myuser_ / Library / Application Support / Microsoft / Teams
/ Users / _myuser_ / Library / Application Support / com / com.microsoft.teams

and downloaded MS Teams again from the Microsoft website (the same version 1.2.00.22561 as available right now) .

Now it's working :)