Teams - Planner Task Notification Due Date

Copper Contributor
Hello. I support multiple sales people in my role and i receive many requests/tasks through email for each person. I was able to create a flow that creates team planner tasks for me when I flag the email which is great.

I have an individual team planner already set up for each salesperson to keep their work requests separate.

But now I need help to create a notification/alert that tells the salesperson the due date I enter in planner for their request of when I'll be able to complete it. What I created in flow does send an email to them with the task title but the due date doesn't come through. Also while I am familiar with using functions I'm no expert either. I have no idea how to make it work.
7 Replies

@vperez How are you defining the due date? Planner doesn't have a default, tasks would exist without a date unless you use a formula to add one.

I assign a due date through the task. Planner allows for one to be selected.

@vperez, Flow doesn't have a dynamic field out of the box to populate an Outlook task due date as a Planner task Due date as far as I know. Do you have a fixed time-frame for due dates on tasks? For example, once flagged does every task have a due date 1 week from now? If so you could write a formula in the Flow to insert that date in dynamically with the formula below in the deadline field (this one adds 7 days from today and doesn't set a time):

formatDateTime(addDays(utcnow(),7),'yyyy-MM-dd')

If not, and you need to manually assign due dates to each task, it may be better to have another Flow running to trigger on a planner task being modified in your Plan, and if the due date is modified it then send out the notification email to your assignee's?

@ChrisElsdonHi Chris, that is exactly what I have been trying to do. I've included a snip of the flow I am working on . You will see that it has parallel branches only because I have to show my workload to upper management and also have the tasks managed with the salespeople I support.

On the right branch, you will see the email notification at the bottom I added which does goes through with the Title of the task however the Due Date does not and I do not understand why the Title goes through but the manually assigned due date does not, it's very frustrating.

@vperezwhich step in that right hand flow are you assigning the due date?

@ChrisElsdonI enter the due date after the 'Update task details 2' but before I assign it to myself 'When a task is assigned to me' as that triggers the email to be sent.

@vperezI did some testing on my tenant, and when re-creating your flow I am also unable to get the Due Date to write into an email. It seems that although the Due Date is picked up by the Flow it is not able to be written into the email.

Screenshot 2019-07-24 at 08.39.49.png

Screenshot 2019-07-24 at 08.40.16.png

But when I put the section of your flow that triggers on when a task is assigned to you in a totally seperate flow its works. As the Trigger is a task assigned to me (in any Plan) I do not think that there is any harm in moving it to a seperate Flow here. I'm not sure why its not working in the single Flow you have and maybe some better minds than mine can help you out here, or you can raise a support ticket to Microsoft to investigate properly.

Screenshot 2019-07-24 at 08.45.02.pngScreenshot 2019-07-24 at 08.46.02.png

Hope that helps.