Teams Phone Numbers Mysteriously Unassigned

Copper Contributor

Over the last  2 weeks or so, we've noticed a handful of our Teams phone numbers which were assigned to users, become Unassigned.  We have no automation in place - everything move, add or change we perform with our phone numbers is manual.  The numbers in question have been assigned for months now.  It wasn't until my phone number was assigned to someone else that we realized the issue.  In order to assign a phone number that is already assigned, you'd have to delete the current user - which we certainly have not done.  Mysteriously, the phone number status changed from assigned to unassigned.  Has anyone experienced this?  We have Operator Connect through Pure-IP.  Thye don't touch our numbers once they are given to us in the Admin portal (or do they?).  My MS Premier ticket came up empty.  Apparently there are no audit logs for phone numbers, just licenses.  And we verified no change in license status at all.  

25 Replies

I have an even stranger tale to tell. My US phone numbers all vanished. examined the logs Not found. I have an open case, but DID are all quickly booked.

@dennyhanrahan 

Anyone get any more on this, we've seen this start happening to us. Some numbers/users are fine, others just lose the numbers at random, sometimes 15 minutes sometimes after a day. I don't think we've got any sync's running but it's pretty annoying there are no logs for this.

I've also seen this happen numerous times over the last 6+ months. I've assumed it was due to MS allowing us to assign too many licenses over what we have purchased, so it randomly unassigns the extra phone number.
The latest issue is that many, but not all, of our Teams phone numbers have been unassigned and the license is also unassigned. I have a ticket in with MS but they don't have a fix yet. I've also tried running the audit log to see if I can find which users have been unassigned based on date, but the logs ARE NOT WORKING. So we are waiting for a response from MS.

@hellohello I forgot to respond to this. We found our solution. We've got two OC operators. The second one was wiping the numbers as it thought it owned the user accounts the numbers were missing for and wiped them out. Might be worth checking if you've got a similar setup.

There doesn't seem to be anything logged anywhere for any of it though which is a big hole in my opinion.

@dennyhanrahan 

Having the same issue, new users initially work as expected after phone number assignment, then without any intervention the number is unassigned. This has happened to several users and 1 voice application. the last user I setup unassigned 3 times.

Voice app just unassigned again