Teams Personal / Teams Work Org and Login Issues

Copper Contributor

I am thoroughly confused as I have been following and using Teams from the beginning, but I am struggling to figure out how my emails are attached to orgs and the relationship between work and personal accounts.  Admittedly, I have used a few emails to sign up with free versions of Teams or to test the guest functionality in a work version using a personal email.  After all the experimenting, I want to clean up all the orgs, accounts, emails, etc. so I have one work account and one personal/consumer account so that I can now use the Windows Desktop version of Teams to access both my personal and work accounts.

So here is a breakdown of my current situation when I log into Teams on my iPhone I see the following sign-in possibilities for these other accounts:

• Login option 1 - Work email address based-login for Work account. 
    • This account works exactly as expected for work.  No issues here.
  • Login option 2 - Personal Yahoo email address based-login for a Personal/Consumer Team account.  This is the one I want to keep for family communication.
    • I set this up to try the teams consumer version in the summer.  I really like it and want to keep using this globally with family and friends.
  • Login Option 3 - Same Personal Yahoo email address based-login shows up now with a different Org name in the list of possible logins
    • I believe this account somehow got affiliated to an "onmicrosoft" account that I created years ago for Teams testing in the beginning, even though this is a personal email.
  • Login Option 4 - Same Personal Yahoo email address based-login, but this one is listed as a guest email for my work.  
    • This occurs because I was experimenting with the guest functionality of my work account by inviting my personal email to try it out
    • However, I have removed my personal email address from my work teams so I am no longer a guest on any of them.  However, I still show up as a guest.

The above is complicated by the fact that I initially had a Yahoo based Microsoft account under which I used for everything Microsoft related for my personal use.  I had set up at some point a Gmail based  Microsoft account for personal use, but I never really used it for anything over the years.  However, this past summer I closed my Yahoo Microsoft account and changed my primary email to my Gmail account.  So it is all the more confusing why everything still shows up in Teams as my Yahoo account even though it is closed and I only use the Gmail login account.

When I log into Windows desktop version of Teams, my Gmail login does not bring up my family personal Team (and still shows up as Yahoo).

So to restate, here is what I am trying to get to:

1. Have only my Gmail and Work accounts show up in Teams
  2. For my personal Gmail account, I want to be able to switch between my work account and this Gmail account to manage my personal family Team.
  3. Eliminate the Guest login with my closed Yahoo account from my Work account

I consider myself somewhat technical savvy, but I am really struggling to get to this endgame.  Can anyone be so kind so as to help me resolve this?  Or, Microsoft, can you help?  This would be fantastic!

Thanks in advance for anyone that may have pity on my situation and would be willing to help me work through this!

1 Reply

@sduffin To remove the guest account from your work tenant, you can follow the instructions here:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/active-directory/external-identities/leave-the-organization

(Note that since the Yahoo! account has been closed, you may need to have an admin at your work assist you.)

Hopefully someone else can assist with the other parts of your enquiry!