Teams of Macbook, cannot share excel workbook on screen sharing

Copper Contributor

I have tried to share my screen during a meeting and I could not locate an open workbook, tried to move the file to desktop but still the excel workbook will not appear in when I select share screen, I see word, powerpoint but just not excel. Using office 365, Macbook, Catalina, Privacy allowed on screen recording. 

31 Replies

has anybody tried this?  

@mangov , I can't seem to see Excel either so I could not share Excel workbook screen in MS Teams.  PowerPoint seems to work fine.

Did you find a solution. I have the same problem

@muccmar , no luck. 

Instead, I just found a bunch of other bugs that makes MS Teams infuriating to use.  

@mangov Very frustrating - I know many colleagues with the same problem.  The ablity to screen share Excel files appears to have been removed - can't think why.  I thought very few seem to have this issue or care about it - because there are not many complaints.  If you find a workaround (other than having to share whole screen) please let me know.  Thanks.

@David Behr I thought first its cause of Macbook, but when I tried on Windows and it was the same. I will let you know if I find anything. Hope Microsoft fixes it.  

@mangov This is not the same on Windows, I definitely can share an Excel window. I don't have a mac available to test right now, but can't you just share the desktop with Excel on it?

@Steven Collier Hi, Yes I can share the window but with word or powerpoint I can share the app. Which makes it easy when presenting Exel workbooks. Sometimes I see workbook option while sharing but when I open the file it disappears. 

Thanks,

@mangov @Steven Collier 

Same issue on iMac - can share all other Windows, just not Excel!

Let's hope this is resolved soon... surprised we're replying to a thread that is from February. It's inconsistent too... a brand new workbook I can share, but not various older saved files?

@Bernard50 Not sure how to get MS attention on this, looks like not many are sharing excel or if they are doing they are happy with screen sharing. But if the bug is fixed sharing excel files helps a lot in the presentation. 

Same problem here. Very frustrating.
I have had success in getting replies from people about Teams dev work by upvoting on UserVoice and have found one for Teams and the Teams for Mac x Excel screen share issue. If you could head over and upvote it, then maybe we can get it fixed quickly?
https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103-public/suggestions/39952390-can-t-share-excel-app...

I have had success in getting replies from people about Teams dev work by upvoting on UserVoice and have found one for Teams and the Teams for Mac x Excel screen share issue. If you could all head over and upvote it, then maybe we can get it fixed quickly? Share it wide too, if you know others suffering. 

https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103-public/suggestions/39952390-can-t-share-excel-app...

Upvoted, but the sad question here is why is customer voting even necessary? In which school of user experience is this an acceptable way to build software?
well, quite, but at least they listen more than Apple do, so it's a start

@martynfirefish Shared with my team, lets see if MS sees this fast! Thank you.

I'm having the same issue, in addition to not being able to share via the "Browse" function for files we actually have stored within Teams. When selecting Browse>Teams and Channels>{channel} it indicates "No files are stored at this location" although we have many (Word, Excel, PDF, etc.). This second issue affects both Windows and Mac computers for our organization.

@mangov  after a couple of hours of trying different options I found out that the issue is in the current office update. on my mac I have Excel version 16.32 which works well but on my brother's mac has Excel version 16.35 which nevered worked. However, after downgrading toExcel version 16.32 all was good, I could see the excel window in teams.

To save your time I compared also the catalina versions as well because mine is 10.15.2 and my brother's mac is on 10.15.4 but this seemed not to be an issue with the Mac OSX version. 

Download the previous versions of office using the below link (need to scroll down a little bit to see them).

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/officeupdates/update-history-office-for-mac