SOLVED

Teams no longer auto launches

Brass Contributor

I'm getting reports of teams not auto-launching at login anymore despite being set to do so. re-installing seems to have no effect. 

What else can I try?

Thank you

4 Replies
Have you already checked the Startup tab under Task Manager?

yes, still listed in there

best response confirmed by trandall (Brass Contributor)
Solution

How to Enable the Auto-start application of teams using GPO (back to beginning) :

Since I already noted the registry key that was created by the application so I created a GPO with the following syntax and applied at  OU level.

clipboard_image_0.png

As you can see above, the value data (C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Teams\Update.exe --processStart "Teams.exe" --process-start-args "--system-initiated" ) that we used is same as the one that we deleted initially, but this doesn't work on end-user PC during logon.

The GPO applied correctly and teams never load automatically so i copied the syntax and tried opening in cmd window and it works but auto-start do not work.

so after spending sometime reviewing  ,finally fixed it by changing the command line from system-initiated to user-initiated

clipboard_image_1.jpegclipboard_image_2.png

Value Data: C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Teams\Update.exe --processStart "Teams.exe" --process-start-args "--user-initiated"

If the user has teams installed (if you did not change the default install location), this GPO will launch teams automatically during login.

What happens if the computer doesn't have teams installed but still the GPO applied ? does it pop-up any error? No, there won't be any error or pop-up on the computers that don't have teams installed and you are safe to apply to everyone who wants to have the auto-start application enabled.

I hope it helps!

@trandall 

Looks very promising! I'll try this ASAP and let you know.

Thank you!
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by trandall (Brass Contributor)
Solution

How to Enable the Auto-start application of teams using GPO (back to beginning) :

Since I already noted the registry key that was created by the application so I created a GPO with the following syntax and applied at  OU level.

clipboard_image_0.png

As you can see above, the value data (C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Teams\Update.exe --processStart "Teams.exe" --process-start-args "--system-initiated" ) that we used is same as the one that we deleted initially, but this doesn't work on end-user PC during logon.

The GPO applied correctly and teams never load automatically so i copied the syntax and tried opening in cmd window and it works but auto-start do not work.

so after spending sometime reviewing  ,finally fixed it by changing the command line from system-initiated to user-initiated

clipboard_image_1.jpegclipboard_image_2.png

Value Data: C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Teams\Update.exe --processStart "Teams.exe" --process-start-args "--user-initiated"

If the user has teams installed (if you did not change the default install location), this GPO will launch teams automatically during login.

What happens if the computer doesn't have teams installed but still the GPO applied ? does it pop-up any error? No, there won't be any error or pop-up on the computers that don't have teams installed and you are safe to apply to everyone who wants to have the auto-start application enabled.

I hope it helps!

@trandall 

View solution in original post