Teams messages search function does not show full conversation

This thread has been locked for new comments by a moderator, if you have a new similar issue then please start a new thread.
Iron Contributor

When using the search function in Teams chat, is there a way to see more than just one specific message (I would like to see the response to the message)? For example, I searched for a question that I asked someone but I want to know what their response was. Right now I can only see the question I asked. Here is a screenshot.

Teams search.png

In my opinion, we should be able to navigate through the conversation after searching.

168 Replies
I use an app called `My Saved Messages` and it helps me a lot, hopes it also helps you guys
https://github.com/lengocthuong15/MS-Teams-Trick
Neat little app and wish MS would just make all messages saved. Our problem is we have about 75 different project channels, a couple dozen department channels, a dozen engineering channels, another dozen work activity's channels, a dozen application program specific channels, and about a hundred users. We probably have 500 new posts a day if not more. Search is really important to us as we use Teams channels as our project threads, if we need background info on a project, it's in Teams, the trick is finding it.
You don't need to save all the messages, just the message that you wish to `jump to the conversation` when you perform a search, that is it. I use the app for the purpose of `jumping to` not to save. And it is not an outside app, just like a plugin in the MS Teams platform. But if you already read the article and it is not what you are looking for, so please ignore my comment, just want to help.

@lengocthuong15 always good to suggest things and appreciate the help. Our issue with that is the instructions state:

Install this App and this should be in your Chat

Goto Chat -> My Saved Messages ->

This app appears to be for chat messages not for Teams channels.  Thanks and this may help others, but we need a solution to show message threads where the search results are in Teams channels and not in chat.

@ph_ly In my experience anyway, it only works if the chat conversation you're looking for is relatively recent.  Otherwise, the popped out chat just spins at the "loading..." page and never returns results.  Not sure if others experience the same thing.  

@KarenKim Sorry to hear that.  It works for me fairly reliably for conversations in the past couple of years, at least.  I just did it on a chat from June 2020.

Still not perfect, but it's the best way got.

@ph_ly Do you use Teams channels or just chat?  All these work-arounds are for Chat which is just for one-on-one (or more) side conversations.  The "Teams" part of Teams is the channels (Teams) and searching through Teams posts is where MS falls flat.

2022-08-09_114736.jpg 

We have already talked about this. When someone posts about "Chat", you don't need to barge in every time and complain about channels.

Yes, I use channels. AS WE HAVE ALREADY DISCUSSED - channel posts are not meant to be chronological, and you should be using Replies to keep all related conversation within a channel thread. If you are trying to find unrelated chronological channel posts in search, then yeah, you'll have a problem. When I pull up a channel post, I typically see all the replies in the search.

Yes, before you complain again - I know you want to see all the other channel posts. Everyone knows it. Just keep using slack.
You are currently the best person on the internet. Thank you very much for saving me countless hours of endless scrolling.