Teams meeting video recording ruined from other users joining

Copper Contributor

Hello All, 

A department in our company has weekly review meetings where all members that participate in the review speak. Many users that attend this meeting join in through Teams and can see the review through the live video call. We want to record these review sessions so that anyone that was unable to attend will be able to see them later. The problem is once the meeting is done recording the footage is still in the split view of the multiple users that are in the call instead of the one user that is recording. So I thought pinning the view of the video for the user that is recording will result in the recording of just that pinned video view but that is not the case. The meeting still uploads to Stream with the split view. Is there anyway to record just one view during a meeting (in this case just the video view)? 

3 Replies
There’s no way to do this AFAIK! Pinning is individual and won’t affect the recording.

If you share a presentation the recording will show this as this is something everyone will pick up. Just a video feed is not possible

Hello fellow community members, 

I found a much better way of doing this. Unfortunately this is only available on the mobile version of Teams for some reason where you can choose the share option and then you select "Video" and that will make the users that join much smaller. This is kind of like how ScreenShare works on the desktop version where the view of all attendees becomes the ScreenShare. The result is the meeting goes from splitting the screen to having the live feed be the primary thing that is viewed with attendees icons being shrunk down to the corner (please keep in mind the reason there is black around the video is because of the orientation of the mobile device). As you can see in the second screenshot the attendees icons get thrown into the lower right corner of the screen. This is the best solution I have found and works out for my need since the user is going to end up recording the meeting with their phone anyways. However, I think this is a feature that should also be available on the desktop app since I also see the a lot of value in just having one video feed from the desktop so recording can be taken from there as well. If anyone knows a more elegant solution to this please let me know. 

MoBarrawi_0-1583767730381.png

MoBarrawi_2-1583767889469.png

@MoBarrawi 

@MoBarrawi 

Man, you're a genius. Based on your workaround, I found one even better.

Grab your webcam driver software and look around for a webcam viewer (or download one if it's not available there). Start your webcam viewer before joining and make sure it's getting a video feed, then join your meeting. Your webcam won't be available there, but now you can share your webcam viewer app window as any application. The shared app will be pinned for everyone, and therefore the recording server.

No extra hardware required, and no weird vertical bars due to vertical filming (which we should be able to rotate, there's a new request for video sharing in phone app!)

Here's a screenshot, don't mind the low quality webcam, that's all I had in my desktop for testing.

prueba.png