Teams Meeting recordings not accessible to invitees

Iron Contributor

Teams meeting recordings (OneDrive) for scheduled meetings are not being shared to all invited.  Instead, the file is only being shared to people who attended the meeting.  I've tested this a few times and gone through the lists to verify that the people that did not attend the meeting do not have access.  If this is by design, this is a significant oversight by Microsoft.  Previously in Stream, the recording was shared to everyone in the invite.  Now with the move to OneDrive, this means going through the attendee list and comparing to who was invited, then manually going to the OneDrive recording, modifying the sharing, and adding each of the people that did not attend the meeting.  Most meeting recordings in our organization are needed for the people who missed the meeting, and by default they cannot access.  What a pain for any meeting larger than a few people! 

Microsoft's documentation does not match the behavior:
"People invited to the meeting, except external users, will automatically be granted permission to the recording file with view access without ability to download."
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/cloud-recording 

Please tell me there's a powershell setting for this somewhere... 

24 Replies

@Eric_H Hi, I don't record that many meetings but this I just had to try and reproduce. Within the same org. I scheduled a meeting with another user who simply didn't attend. When the recording was completed I signed in with that other user and clicked on the recording link in the chat and it worked.

So not sure what's going on here..

Permissions or role-based access

@ChristianJBergstrom Is it possible the sharing behavior is dictated at all by the meeting option "Allow Meeting Chat?"  Both problem meetings had this set to "In-meeting Only" instead of "Enabled."  I'll try and test more this week.  

@Eric_H Hello, just browsed through my notifications and realized you asked a question here. Sorry about that, a month later! No, the "in-meeting" only prevents the chat for being enabled. If you were invited (attended or not) you can still access the recording in the chat.

We have users experiencing the same issues, to various degrees (eg. one users reported that invitees who did not attend can't access chats or recordings; in my personal experience, it is only recordings). We are in GCC. Is anyone else having these issues in GCC too, or are you in commercial, EDU, etc?
Hi, commercial here. What kind of meetings and what kind of user types (internal/external) are you talking about? See if the role-based permissions table explains your experience https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/tmr-meeting-recording-change#permissions-or-role-bas...

@ChristianJBergstrom , scheduled internal meetings.  Nothing fancy.

Well, quite difficult to even guess what's happening not knowing any technical details. Internal normal meeting or internal channel meetings? And on top of that GCC which I have no experience of. You could add the scheduling and meeting-join procedure along with the organizer and meeting options set, step-by-step, and I can tell if it should work or not.

@ChristianJBergstrom , 

Internal scheduled meeting, not in a channel.

@Eric Hepinstall, since you see the same behavior when you opened this topic...are you in GCC too?

@sd adm We are not GCC. That would make things too easy :xd:.  Honestly haven't seen this again, but haven't had time to fully test.    

@Eric_H , That's the first & only time I've heard someone say things would be easier in GCC.  :xd:

Ok, good to know it isn't limited to a particular cloud environment.

@Eric_H Do you have any more insights into this? I am experiencing the same thing. Created the meeting via Outlook, it was set as a Teams meeting, invited the whole company. Someone who didn't attend could not access the meeting recording either via the meeting invite in the Teams calendar or via a OneDrive link that colleague forwarded to her. She had to request access from me. Agree that this is problematic.

Same here - I'm eagerly awaiting the answer. We have a regular meeting every Wed that we record. Last year's meetings all went fine but when I set up the new meetings this year, the people who did not attend can not use the link.
Upon further investigation, there seems to be an issue when you put attendees in the "optional" line versus required. It's like Teams doesn't see those people at invited or attendees unless they actually join the meeting. We are testing whether someone accepting the meeting or not responding at all has an impact too.

@murrco Yeah, my problem doesn't look to be that simple, unfortunately. It seems completely random as to who it gives access to in terms of the video. I have some people that were on the call that don't have access while others that were on it that do. I have some people that didn't accept the invitation that have access and others that didn't accept it that don't. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to it. The only consistent thing is that all of the people who didn't attend do not have access.  Very frustrating. I believe that every person on the invitation list should have access to it without me having to hand select them every time. 

@Eric_H 

Hello,

It seems to me that the way recording sharing works is explained in details here:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/tmr-meeting-recording-change#permissions-or-role-bas...

In the FAQ it is summarized like this:

• For non-Channel meetings, all meeting invitees, except for external users, will automatically get a personally shared link. External users will need to be explicitly added to the shared list by the meeting organizer or the person who started the meeting recording.

@Alberto Schiavon , if you are suggesting our issue is related to external users, I can assure you this is not the case.  The behavior described in Microsoft documentation is not the actual behavior.  Our issue is similar to @Nicole1677.  I just investigated another meeting and found these disparities:

- 115 users invited (all internal employees with at least E3 licenses).  

- 79 users attended the meeting (confirmed by Teams reporting)

- 87 users were given automatically given view permissions to the meeting recording file in the recorder's onedrive

- 28 of the 36 that missed the meeting did not get access to the file at all even though they were on the invite.  

One thing to point out is that the 115 users were invited as part of a Mail Enabled distribution group.  I have not yet investigated if this is at all related (vs the outlook/teams invite including every 115 people individually).  We use distribution groups all the time for inviting large groups/divisions to meetings so I hope this is not related.   

Could then be related to the fact that the invitation was sent to a distribution list?
This Microsoft document says: "distribution lists aren't supported methods for assigning SharePoint permissions."
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/sharepoint-invitation-sent-to-a-distribution-list-works-f...

Dear Tech Community,

I'm also facing similar issue in my organisation where, Teams meeting recordings (OneDrive) for scheduled meetings are not being shared to all invited. Instead, the file is only being shared to people who attended the meeting. We performed some tests and got to know that the people, did not attend the meeting do not have access. Recordings are only accessible for those, who attended the meeting.

As per microsoft, the default behaviour of Teams recording is, it should be accessible to all who are the attendees, irrespective of they joined that meeting or not.

@manshu1905 yep, glad to finally hear someone else verify this faulty behavior.  So I guess that means it will be fixed by Microsoft!  Oh wait...  no it won't.   Since they got rid of uservoice and a ton of QA staff, we have to rely on a random Microsoft person that has some pull to see this post and care about it enough to get it into development, which they won't.  This will go unfixed for years.  Guess I'll go back to telling my users "sorry, this is just broken."