SOLVED

Teams Meeting Recording without Stream

Deleted
Not applicable

Don't know if something has changed but our users are now able to record meetings without Stream.

We have stream disabled (don't ask) both in licensing and in AzureAD Enterprise Apps but users are able to record meetings, get transcripts, download etc.

Has something changed Microsoft's end?

31 Replies

@Dave Gorgone @ChrisKnowlton 

We license all of our users for Teams and Stream but only allow 3 people to post videos in Stream.  So when people in Teams record their meetings they get an error and a link to download their videos (available for 20 days).  This experience is expected, its a company policy that only 3 people can post videos to Stream and those using Teams for teaching just download and upload to Panopto or Canvas. 

We have people who occasionally record meetings (That are not uploaded to Stream) and want/need to delete them before the 20 days passes.
How do you delete these videos that are available for download or even the posts about the meeting recordings ?

This is what it looks like for someone licensed for Stream but denied access to upload to Stream.   I can't find how to delete either the file or the message about the meeting recording.

Recording from a user licensed for Stream but not allowed to upload.Recording from a user licensed for Stream but not allowed to upload.

This is what happens for someone who is licensed for Stream and also granted upload access.

You can delete these videos from Stream and the link no longer works in the Team but the post about it remains.

Meeting recorded by somone licensed for Stream and has right to upload to Stream.Meeting recorded by somone licensed for Stream and has right to upload to Stream.

Only Stream Admins and those explicitly listed here have access to upload Teams meetings to Stream. By default I believe MS gives everyone this access.

Stream PermissionsStream Permissions

@Dave Gorgone by any chance do you have a link to the source/reference where this is documented? I am having a hard time wrapping by brains around it and can't seem to find concrete info. Stream and its permissioning is anyway so confusing and add to that these Teams meetings!!

@O365EDU - Strangely, there are no user or admin controls for deleting those posts or temporarily stored videos. Today, the only way to remove those is to submit a support ticket and request the video be deleted on your behalf. I believe the Teams product group was fast-tracking a fix for this, but I haven't seen it yet.

-Chris

@Dave Gorgone thanks for the clarification! :) 

The only thing I'm still confused about is whether users still need a separate Stream license or not for the Teams meeting recording to upload to Stream successfully.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/stream/license-overview says that users with e.g. Office E1/E3 are allowed to upload videos to Stream.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/cloud-recording however says

• User has an Office 365 E1, E3, E5, A1, A3, A5, M365 Business, Business Premium or Business Essentials
  • User needs to be licensed for Microsoft Stream1
    1 User needs to be licensed to upload/download meetings to/from Microsoft Stream, however they do not need the license to record a meeting.

So what's true then? Do you know per chance / experience?

Or maybe Microsoft forgot to update their documentation?

@pfoerster To be able to upload the recording to Stream the user that records need to have a Stream license that is included in E1, E3, E5, A1, A3 and some more licenses. The Stream license also have to be active for the user, so if you assign a E3 license to a user and disable Stream in that license it will not work.

Hi Linus,
thank you for your reply. Now it makes sense :)

@Dave Gorgone As you said people who are part of that meeting can download the video directly from microsoft teams where that video will stay for 20 days, but Can you please tell me how to restrict access to that video to certain users? considering person who started recording cannot see these videos in the streams

@Dave Gorgone 

How do I know if I have or not the license for steam? I'm actually using it to upload videos and create groups and channels. But the recording from teams is not going to steam.

I'm using a cooperative license of Office 365 from the university that I work for.

Best regards,

Ebrahim

@Dave Gorgone Hello Mr. Dave,  actually mine is a bit different because after the meeting the recorded meetings doesn't show in the chat area. I mean I did follow the steps on starting the recording and ending the recording and it did not show after the meeting, its been 2 days now from the date of the meeting and I am afraid that after 7 days the video is now gone.

I even check in Stream, OneDrive and even in the Outlook. I did everything I could but the recorded is really gone and that meeting I have is very important. Attached is the proof that I did turn on the recording. I did not make any notes because I trusted the recorded meeting. I hope you could help me with this and I really appreciate your help.

Thank you so much.

@Dave Gorgone Hi, for some reason I'm unable to download the recorded meetings locally. I noticed this happened only recently but it only happens to me and a few others. I am perplexed as most people in the meeting could download them without any obstruction. As for me, it would not even show that the file is downloadable, I'm using a PC as well. Thanks. 

@Ebrahimse81 - if your Teams Meeting Recordings are not going to Stream but stay as a download in chat, even though you can access Stream, here's a common cause: The impacted users have TeamsMeetingPolicy-AllowCloudRecording setting set to false (also available via the Teams admin center UI). See https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/cloud-recording for a list of the prerequisites needed to send meeting recordings to Stream.