SOLVED

Teams meeting policy "allow everyone" not working - anonymous users stuck in lobby

Silver Contributor

Hey!

Anyone else having issues with the Teams meeting policy for participants and guests not taking effect or just not working as supposed to?

I am doing some testing and ran into an issue with these settings. That is, let anonymous start a meeting and auto admit everyone (this was assigned to a meeting organizer last night).

participantsandguests.PNG

It seems to be OK (yay) as the organizer gets this prompt (the guest in this case is a gmail.com user)

gueststartedmeeting.PNG

But when joining the meeting as organizer it's not started. The anon guest(s) is actually waiting in the lobby. And from the gmail.com users Teams session it's not started either, just waiting "we'll let people know.."

Tried in desktop and web, same behavior.

In general I get the feeling that the settings for a separate meeting (the meeting options that a end-user can set per meeting) doesn't work either, or at least it's buggy.

Any feedback appreciated.

Thanks!

11 Replies

@ChristianBergstrom 

Hey there.  My Global Teams meeting policy is as follows,

Screenshot 2020-06-12 at 18.47.45.png

I scheduled a Teams meeting and invited a Gmail user.  I then started the meeting as the Gmail user and then joined as me.  No waiting in lobby.  Meeting worked just fine for both participants.

@PeterRising Hello friend! Thanks for the reply!

My issue is that I cannot let anonymous people directly in (@gmail.com or @outlook.com for example) without having them waiting in the lobby. I believe your Gmail user is already a guest user in your AAD? If not, the user should be 'anonymous' and not be able to start the meeting per the setting you've configured.

Everyone in your organizationAuthenticated users from within the organization, including guest users, join the meeting directly without waiting in the lobby. Users from trusted organizations and anonymous users wait in the lobby. This is the default setting.

I've configured "Let anonymous people start a meeting" to On and "Automatically admit people" to Everyone. Still the anonymous user cannot start the meeting. It looks like it (see previous screenshot) but it's a no go.

It's driving me crazy..

@ChristianBergstrom 

Hey mate. Ah that would make the difference.  My Gmail is indeed already a guest.  I'll give it a try with another Gmail account and see what results I get.  Will be tomorrow when I next get the chance now though.  I'll let you know though!

@ChristianBergstrom 

OK, now got a brand new test Gmail account, changed my Global Teams Meeting policy as below;

Screenshot 2020-06-13 at 20.34.31.png

Sent a Teams meeting invite to the Gmail user, and tried to start the meeting as the Gmail guest user.

Despite the meeting settings though, I'm getting this when starting the meeting as the guest user;

Screenshot 2020-06-13 at 20.36.20.png

Which I believe is what you are getting right?  And I agree, this should not happen.

@PeterRising Hello mate! Really appreciate your input and testing. Thank you for confirming that the setting doesn't work as intended. It seems as if I have to open a ticket with premier support. Unfortunately it's such an exhausting process trying to explain to them (every time) what's going on.

Thanks again for investing your time. I'll update this conversation when I get a proper response. Take care and have a nice weekend!

I can see why it’s driving you crazy. I want to know how to fix it now too. Let me know how you get on. :grinning_face:
best response confirmed by ChristianBergstrom (Silver Contributor)
Solution

@PeterRising Hello mate! Guess what? It's working!

I've done nothing since Friday, so I suppose it was a case of waiting for it to take effect (but it shouldn't take that long!).

@ChristianBergstrom 

Ha, I'm really not surprised.  I guess mine will do the same then.  I'll have to check it.  :lol:

@PeterRising 

have you checked if the meeting organizer has that same Global Policy assigned to them? I checked and although my organization had it, I (the organizer of the meetings) did no. Also I've read somewhere the setting applies only to new meetings. Thanks for the great input!

My solution worked, now we are able to schedule meetings with anon users starting the meeting. Should you want to create different types of meetings - some having the setting to be joined by anons, some not, then you'd have to have different policies associated with different users.

E.G. According to policy assigned: 

User 1 has permission to create meetings where all anons can start the meeting (Custom policy)

User 2 has permission to create meetings where the meeting can only be started by signed in users (guests or otherwise - according to policy setting - it's usually AllOn)

User 3 has permission to create meetings where it is always mandatory that an organization member is present to let people in. (GlobalPolicy normal settings)

Hello, thanks for the reply. As you can see from the conversation (and the ”best response”) this was solved in June. I just had to wait ~48 hours for the policy to be synchronized. No issue with assigned policies.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by ChristianBergstrom (Silver Contributor)
Solution

@PeterRising Hello mate! Guess what? It's working!

I've done nothing since Friday, so I suppose it was a case of waiting for it to take effect (but it shouldn't take that long!).

View solution in original post