SOLVED

Teams Meeting Chat Log Information Location

Iron Contributor

Hi,

So obviously when someone joins a meeting in the chat of the meeting you can see person x joined the meeting. Where is this saved? Is it in the exchange mailbox for the user in the hidden folder? If it is will the Teams chat retention policy in O365 apply to this log information if not how long is it kept for?

8 Replies

Hi @ChristianBergstrom so is the actual log of the the person entering the meeting saved as part of the meeting chat message/s in the shadow Exchange mailbox? I have seen that article and cannot see that it references what I am specifically asking about the log of who is entering.

I suppose I could just try and search for it in the security and compliance centre.

Hey, tbh I only assume it’s part of the chat itself and therefore the underlying Azure-powered chat service, which when retention is used rules both locations. The data in the mailboxes only consists of the hidden folder and the famous ”substrate”. But maybe another member knows more about it and will reply.

Either way, let me know if you find out or get a different answer.

@ChristianBergstrom I can see in a content search that it does find messages related to the logs I am referring to. It saves it as a type:Meeting.

Can anyone else confirm that this will come under the Microsoft Teams chat retention policy? Or would this specifically be under the Exchange Online retention policy?

Start Time (UTC): 1/19/2021 2:09:58 PM
End Time (UTC): 1/19/2021 2:58:41 PM
Duration: 00:48:42.9751868

[1/19/2021 2:11:41 PM (UTC)] teamsvisitor:xxx joined.
[1/19/2021 2:13:34 PM (UTC)] teamsvisitor:xxxleft.
[1/19/2021 2:09:58 PM (UTC)] first name joined.
[1/19/2021 2:58:41 PM (UTC)] first name left.
[1/19/2021 2:14:58 PM (UTC)] teamsvisitor:xxx joined.
[1/19/2021 2:58:41 PM (UTC)] teamsvisitor:xxx left.

Hello again, surely it has to be the Teams retention. Why don’t you give it a go?

@ChristianBergstrom we already have the Teams chat retention policy in place. I am checking as our risk and compliance department is asking about this specific part of the meeting chat logs and how long they are retained for, so wanted to make sure it is 100% coming under the Teams chat retention policy before replying.

I am sure it will come under this retention policy, but is there a way to easily check via some reporting or any other way in O365?

best response confirmed by blue_man (Iron Contributor)
Solution
You can always ask Microsoft with a Service request from the admin portal. And in this case I recommend it as you then can point to an official answer.

@ChristianBergstrom ok thanks for you help with this

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by blue_man (Iron Contributor)
Solution
You can always ask Microsoft with a Service request from the admin portal. And in this case I recommend it as you then can point to an official answer.

View solution in original post