SOLVED

Teams Live Events without Stream enabled

Iron Contributor

Hi community!  I have a question around Teams live events - it is hard to test to replicate since all my other tenants are currently in Stream. We have a situation where one tenant has not migrated from O365 Video to Classic Stream.  Do we need to migrate first before we turn on Teams Live Events?  Since Teams live events use Azure Media Services I wasn't sure if Stream would also need to be on for this to work.

Thanks so much!

-Ethan

2 Replies
best response confirmed by Ethan Stern (Iron Contributor)
Solution

@Ethan Stern 

Like you not many of the community will have come across this scenario. From the documentation a Stream License is not require to present/produce a live event. This is in effect a user without stream so according to the documentation it will work - 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/MicrosoftTeams/teams-live-events/plan-for-teams-live-events

"Users won't need a Microsoft Stream license assigned if you want users to only record and download the recordings. This will mean that the recordings aren't stored in Microsoft Stream but are instead stored in Azure Media Services (AMS) with a 30-day limit before it's deleted. It's not something at this point that an admin can control or manage including the ability to delete it."

@Andrew Hodges Thanks, Andrew- that is what I was hoping!  I saw that "A Microsoft Stream license - is required if you are planning to share the content to an external app or device" and so we would be ok to turn on live events and just have people download their recording if they needed it.  Thanks, I appreciate the reply :)

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Ethan Stern (Iron Contributor)
Solution

@Ethan Stern 

Like you not many of the community will have come across this scenario. From the documentation a Stream License is not require to present/produce a live event. This is in effect a user without stream so according to the documentation it will work - 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/MicrosoftTeams/teams-live-events/plan-for-teams-live-events

"Users won't need a Microsoft Stream license assigned if you want users to only record and download the recordings. This will mean that the recordings aren't stored in Microsoft Stream but are instead stored in Azure Media Services (AMS) with a 30-day limit before it's deleted. It's not something at this point that an admin can control or manage including the ability to delete it."

View solution in original post