SOLVED

Teams Live Events vs. Yammer Live Events

Bronze Contributor

What is the difference in features and applicability for Teams Live events vs Yammer Live events? Are they basically the same thing? Which should we use when?

7 Replies
best response confirmed by Rob O'Keefe (Bronze Contributor)
Solution

Live Events in Yammer is only for internal use, Live Events in Teams can be used for public events that allows external viewers (non-authenticated anonymous users). LE Yammer uses Microsoft Stream and LE Teams uses Stream for internal broadcasts and Azure Media Services for public events.

With Yammer you use an third-party application to produce, with Teams you can use a third-party applications (internal events only) or you can use the Teams client to produce your event.

With yammer you can have an ongoing discussion/conversation about the stream, with Teams you only have the Q&A feature.

@Linus Cansby Super-helpful!! Best post on this board I have seen in a long time!!!

Thanks, that is reply I could print out and frame.. :)

@Linus Cansby great response, a follow up if I may? If you ask a question through Yammer during a Live Event the Q&A moderator gets to see it in Live Events don't they, not within a Yammer channel?

I'm trying to work out when I would use Live Events in Teams and Live Events in Yammer. You clarified that Yammer is internal and Teams external.

Another gating factor would be do I want to have an easy place to answer questions that I didn't answer in Live Events, i.e. post-event. I take it that would be Yammer?

@Tim Banting Viewer can ask the questions in Yammer, they can be answered there.

Linus Cansby_2-1585987198673.png

But they will also be shown in the Yammer tab in Live Events in Teams, so they can be answered from Teams.

Linus Cansby_0-1585987153824.png

Does Yammer live events not have the reporting like Teams Live Events does?
Hi, as more than a year has passed, can you please confirm whether these differences still hold true? Thanks so much, I appreciate your guidance!
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Rob O'Keefe (Bronze Contributor)
Solution

Live Events in Yammer is only for internal use, Live Events in Teams can be used for public events that allows external viewers (non-authenticated anonymous users). LE Yammer uses Microsoft Stream and LE Teams uses Stream for internal broadcasts and Azure Media Services for public events.

With Yammer you use an third-party application to produce, with Teams you can use a third-party applications (internal events only) or you can use the Teams client to produce your event.

With yammer you can have an ongoing discussion/conversation about the stream, with Teams you only have the Q&A feature.

View solution in original post