Teams is not retaining position when swapping between chats

Copper Contributor

I have a number of chats on Teams. Let's say I have chats with Jim and Bob. If I'm chatting with Bob, looking at their last message and answering it, then swap to Jim, the view of my chat with Jim appears then Teams scrolls so that the latest message with Jim is off the bottom of the view, and I need to scroll down to get to the latest one. If I do that, then answer, then swap back to the chat with Bob, the same thing happens; the latest messages are shown momentarily and are then replace on the display with older messages where I have to scroll down to the bottom to see the last message I looked at.

Teams is showing as version 1.4.00.11161 (64-bit), last updated on 30th June 2022.

8 Replies

@jmccabekt Not sure what you're asking - the chats with the most recent activity will always move to the top of the list.  If you are in a couple of chats at once, one way to keep track of them more easily is to pin them to the top so they're not lost in the list.  You can also hide old chats that aren't relevant any more to keep the list shorter. Tips to Organize Your Chats in Microsoft Teams (learningwithkari.com)

Anyone else have anything to add?

@Therese_Solimeno
Ok - consider this:
Teams is open on my PC; I have a toolbar on the left, then list of chats, then the selected chat (let's call that the "chat pane" as I don't know what you'd call it).

I click on the top chat in the list and it's shown in the chat pane. I go to the chat pane and type text into the box that says "Type a new message" and press the weird arrow icon to send it.

Now I click in the 2nd chat in the chat list so the chat with that person is shown in the chat pane. However the chat pane momentarily shows the last messaged sent/received in that chat, then jumps so that the message now displayed is one from an earlier time and I have to scroll the chat pane down to get the latest message.

The problem isn't related to the ordering of the list of different chats I'm involved in, it's the content of that specific chat that I've chosen.

Do you understand that now?

@jmccabekt I think it will be good to clear the Microsoft Teams client cache on laptop, and then try it again :grinning_face: 

Reference how to clear the cache: 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/troubleshoot/teams-administration/clear-teams-cache

Let me know the outcome :grinning_face: 

kind regards,

Mitchell 

@Mitchell Bakker Intriguing:

jmccabekt_0-1657529674139.png

The "all files and folders in the %appdata%\Microsoft\Teams directory" step seems a bit dodgy! I've deleted all the files in the Cache directory under there, and will let you know if that works.

Nope; didn't. Problem re-appeared shortly afterwards.

@jmccabektCan you check if you experience the same with Teams on the web (https://teams.microsoft.com)?

I'll try, and let you know.
Just thought I'd update this. Unfortunately, for various reason, it's not easy for me to use Teams on the web for the length of sessions that show up this behaviour in the desktop app, so I can't say whether or not it happens.

However, all of the colleagues I've spoken to about this have noticed the same issue/annoyance.