Teams invite not getting added to meetings sent to DLs.

Copper Contributor

We use outlook web to schedule classes (as Teams meetings) for students for various grades. Each grade has a DL containing all student IDs. 

Lately, when we're creating meetings and sending to class DLs, the Team meeting invite link is not getting added on to the invite. As a consequence, there's no join button as well appearing against the invite.

If I go back into the invite, the "Teams meeting" option remains unchecked.

If the invite is sent to individual limited audience, it works fine.

3 Replies

@ankushmanujaHere are few possible solutions to this issue;

1. Try to send the invite using Teams Calendar invite from within Microsoft Teams
  2. try to send the meeting invite as an attachment if you want to use it from outlook
  3. you can also try to create a Teams within Teams and then held the meeting in one of the channels

please type in your response which one works.

Thanks @PDostiyar for the suggestions. I've tried a few of these and my concerns with these are:

1. Try to send the invite using Teams Calendar invite from within Microsoft Teams
    Teachers use mobile devices to do this and while setting up teams invite through teams it doesn't search the DLs in the invitee list on mobiles (extremely strange and stupid). One or two staff who have desktop are now doing this on behalf of everyone through their teams desktop as a workaround.
  2. try to send the meeting invite as an attachment if you want to use it from outlook
    Demography of the user base is from a rural area so technology penetration is quite minimal. Having them to learn new tricks is extremely time consuming. Besides, we don't have licenses for Desktop Outlook and getting this to work on web outlook is tedious.
  3. you can also try to create a Teams within Teams and then held the meeting in one of the channels
    Deliberately avoiding the use of teams and channels as we've had it being misused/abused by certain students in the past. Besides, I'll have to train all the students too along with faculty in the use of channels. Want the technology to be simple and effective.

Meanwhile, I've got a couple of workarounds in place to get the guys going but will need Microsoft to fix this. Customer support is horrible too - they take days to get back only for me to realise they haven't understood the issue at all.

@ankushmanuja  oh yes your use case is strange, as these Micorost products have a different version and update for each device like you said something works fine with the outlook desktop version but on the web version that has not been released yet or is still in design/development phase.

this is the same case for Smart devices like iPhone, Andriod, and Tablets have their own versions not only for the Microsoft products but for most of the major's software and application which I am sure you already knew it.

about Microsoft Support my experience has always been great with them or might be the Tier structure or services will be different for each organization type and accounts, meanwhile you have a great Microsoft Tech Community that everyone is willing to help and share their idea and get their own issues resolved through this community as we got MVPs, Tech Champs, and Micorosft Employees creating articles and giving advice along with each individual contributors.

Regards