Teams Internal user getting "Due to org policy changes this chat is no longer available."

Copper Contributor

I have an internal user attempting to message another internal user but they are getting the message "Due to org policy changes this chat is no longer available. Continue with Skype for Business". These two users were able message each other without issue until October 9th, 2020. Teams has been uninstalled and reinstalled on both computers, unfortunately to no avail. All of our users are in Islands within Teams since we still have Skype for Business running. Nothing has changed in the Teams Admin portal for these users and they are the only two that have this issue. Any ideas?

Thanks

34 Replies

@jchimovitz Hi, are these two reusing an old chat? Is that the exact message they are receiving?

How does the following settings look like in the Teams admin portal.

• Org-wide settings - Teams upgrade
  • Users - Account - Teams upgrade - Coexistence mode
  • Users - Policies - Assigned policies

What differentiates these two users from the others? Is the problem only between these two users?

@ChristianBergstrom I'm not sure what constitutes an old chat. The Teams window continues a chat and when the user chooses to start a new chat with his supervisor, the same issue occurs. There is nothing that differentiates the two users. Their licenses are identical as are their computers and software that is installed (I control that) and the user has no issue calling or messaging anyone else in the organization. No one elses Teams shows that supervisor as an external contact. As far as the settings, all of the users are set identically except for my boss whose account is the admin. I'll have to wait for my boss to get in to get the settings you asked about. I can tell you everyone is currently set as islands though.  

@jchimovitz With old chat I meant if someone has been switched over to Teams-only for ex. with the Skype logo being show in the old Teams chat.

What does this mean? "No one elses Teams shows that supervisor as an external contact." I don't understand as you say it's happening between two internal users. But at least it explains the message you attached previously "due to org policy changes..." as it shows when trying to chat with an external user during specific configurations, more details explained here

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/coexistence-chat-calls-presence

Have you tried verifying the behavior using https://teams.microsoft.com and also do a manual sign out / sign in from the top right corner. Try resetting the desktop app as well by deleting all content in %appdata%\Microsoft\Teams

Still I would take a look at the settings I attached in the previous reply.

@ChristianBergstrom So definitely not in an old chat. 

What I meant by only the user and their supervisor was that they are the only two users this is affecting. So when the user tries to message their supervisor they are told that the supervisor is an external contact now instead of being part of our organization. That user is the only one who sees this message when trying to contact that specific supervisor. No one else has any issue calling or messaging that supervisor over Teams and that user only has the issue when trying to message or call that specific supervisor. here is an image of what occurs. 

I have reset the desktop app and had both users log out of Teams then reboot then log into Teams again. 

Hi, if you are not able to narrow it down by previous suggestions, such as comparison, settings, policies and the coexistence appearance you experience (showing as external for that user) I recommend opening a ticket with the official support.

Let me know how it goes!

@ChristianBergstrom I have this exact same issue with two colleagues.  When I call them, it rings their Skype for Business, if they call me, it rings to Teams.  Both in Islands modes, nothing different about our accounts.  I had a long case open with Microsoft about this about a month ago and then the issue resolved itself, so I closed the ticket.  Unfortunately, it came back about a week later, but I haven't had the time to reopen the ticket.

@jchimovitz - if you're able to get a resolution, please post here - thanks!

@ChristianBergstrom I appreciate your help here. I am attaching some images to hopefully answer your questions regarding the settings in the admin center. I have found that the user has issues not only on his computer but on other computers we have tested it from. 

@jchimovitz @ChristianBergstrom I'm the person in my org who is affected by this, and it's only when I reach out to two specific colleagues.  Very strange. 

I did try clearing out my %appdata%\Microsoft\Teams folder and relaunching, and that seems to have fixed it.  

I have not tested yet, but I'm wondering if switching organizations will break it again (I have 2 external orgs I sometimes switch to).  Very odd that it's only with 2 specific people that it breaks though.

@jchimovitz same issue here since this week but not all users are affected.

We're in TeamsOnly mode since May2020 and everything worked well. Now (not all) users get the message "Due to org policy changes, this chat is no longer available. Continue with Skype for Business" when they try to chat with external persons. The issue happens in Teams Client but also in the web but seems that this issue frist affected the client and web worked still but only for a short time. 

I have opened a case on the Microsoft Support and wait for response.

Any update from your side?

I've just had this issue appear as well. Was working fine earlier
Hi, there’s been an incident in the infrastructure affecting the Teams service. Should be related to that. It’s been resolved now though. Sign out and and sign in manually to remediate.

@ChristianBergstrom Is this issue still ongoing?  I just had 2 users report the same problem.  I've tried both the desktop and web version and even tried it on a computer that didn't have TEAMS previously installed.  It does work correctly with my account (I'm a domain admin).

They say it’s been resolved.

Title: Some users may have been unable to send or receive chat messages, or load chat data within Microsoft Teams

User Impact: Users may have been unable to send or receive chat messages, or load chat data within Microsoft Teams.

Final status: We've identified that a section of infrastructure, responsible for processing chat message requests, was not performing as expected. Our automated recovery system repaired this problem, and we confirmed that service was restored after monitoring the environment.

Scope of impact: Impact was specific to users who were served through the affected infrastructure located in the Europe, Middle East, and Africa regions.

@ChristianBergstromThis is not the cause. Chat with internal contacts never ceased to work. Since few days ago me as well cannot chat with External contacts with the same message:

> Due to org policy changes this chat is no longer available

@Lars Rothdo you have any further info on the issue?

Hi, well in another conversation that was the issue as it suddenly stopped working with no changes being made. When it was resolved it started to work again.

So, are you having the same issue if using Teams on the web? Have your or the external users org. changed any coexistence and upgrade settings? (TeamsOnly, Islands etc.) Are they using SfB?

@ChristianBergstrom 

The same issue appears in desktop clients on all OSes and in Teams on the web - but with the exception of mobile clients - Android and iOS. On mobile clients we are able to chat with external contacts.

I found several similar reports to this one, so I will try more debugging later this week with the advices from these threads.

No changes in either organization's policies. Both organizations are Team Only.

Seems like a not-so-rare issue that Teams settings are change somehow after Teams upgrade in the background, yet that the Admin console and clients show the state as before.

I recommend you opening a support ticket (service request) from the admin portal so Microsoft can do a proper analyze of what’s going on. As no settings has changed and it’s working with other devices something is obviously not as it should be.