SOLVED

Teams increasing video layout to 49 visible participants

Silver Contributor

Hello! I'm targeting the Microsoft employees with this post. Would you mind confirming the quote and is there any official information?

"Microsoft Teams is set to get another expansion of its gallery view for video calls, this time bringing Teams video to 49 visible participants, Microsoft confirmed to CRN."

16 Replies
Hi!
Im not Microsoft but I can tell that there’s no official announcements as of yet and no timeframe or such. I highly doubt someone will confirm it here also

Adam

@adam deltinger It could happen Adam ;) thanks for the reply/info!

@ChristianBergstrom Do you or anyone else know what the current count is for visible participants? I was looking and found documentation that leads me to believe 20, but last I heard for sure was 9. 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/limits-specifications-teams#meetings-and-calls

best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution

@Timkim Hello! You're absolutely right. 3x3 is the max simultaneously video layout right now, but as you can tell from the topic this is going to increase to 7x7. No further info though. Talked to a Microsoft representative today and she gave me the same info that's already out there "It's coming, can't say when".

Preview this month, target GA in “fall” (Sep-Nov).

“That’s why, coming to preview this month with general availability in the fall, we are expanding the Teams grid view to 7×7, which will accommodate up to 49 participants at once on a single screen”

https://educationblog.microsoft.com/en-us/2020/06/three-months-later-what-educators-have-learned-fro...

@Peter Johnson Hi Peter, I saw the blog post earlier. Appreciate your reply though! Cheers!

@ChristianBergstrom As this has been published in Message center I'm updating the post.

Jul 1, 2020.

Large Gallery view (preview) for Microsoft Teams meetings provides a new way to view video from up to 49 participants at once on a single screen. Similar to the normal Gallery view, Large Gallery automatically adapts the layout of participant videos in a Teams meeting into defined grids (e.g. 7x7) for optimal viewing. Large Gallery is an optional participant view that is turned off by default for each meeting, and each meeting user may switch in or out of Large Gallery view at any time.

Large Gallery is being made available as a public preview feature and uses a new flexible design to deliver a network-optimized client video experience that works on multiple device categories. During the preview, the Large Gallery experience will be available for desktop Teams client (Windows, Mac) and mobile Teams client (iOS, Android) users. In order to take advantage of this new view, users will need to turn on the new multi-window meeting experience and must have ten (10) or more participants in an active meeting with video turned on.

This message is associated with Microsoft 365 Roadmap ID 65333

When this will happen

We will begin rolling out the feature to production with the new multi-window experience for desktop clients in early July and target full availability including mobile clients for iOS and Android by the end of August.

How this will affect your organization

As a result of utilizing Large Gallery, more users may enable video during their Teams meetings. While in preview, user interactivity with individual participant videos (pin single participant, mute audio) shown in Large Gallery will be limited. Users needing participant-level controls can continue to use the Teams roster and Large Gallery together as a combined tool.

What you need to do to prepare

Before adopting Large Gallery view, users should be made familiar with the new multi-window experience for Teams meetings (MC212453, May 2020).

Any idea whether this is rolled out for the teams app on the surface hub devices?

@Timkim  I'm a math teacher and my school district has chosen Teams and we are only able to see 9 students.  It bad that I can't see what the other 16 are up to during class.  I hope Microsoft gets this fixed quickly!

@mathteacher2539 Hi, you need to enable it from within the Teams settings "Turn on new meeting experience".

For more info https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/roadmap?filters=&searchterms=65333

"Large Gallery is being made available as a public preview feature and uses a new flexible design to deliver a network-optimized client video experience that works on multiple device categories. During the preview, the Large Gallery experience will be available for desktop Teams client (Windows, Mac) and mobile Teams client (iOS, Android) users. In order to take advantage of this new view, users will need to turn on the new multi-window meeting experience and must have ten (10) or more participants in an active meeting with video turned on."

@ChristianBergstromHi, and thanks for the update. Have you been able to test is out? if so how is the functionality and quality?

@mathteacher2539 If you get it to work with your students let us know how well it works for you and what issues you ran into, if any.

@Timkim Hey, I'm afraid not. Just back from vacation and my meetings up until now hasn't involved enough people to use it.

@ChristianBergstrom Is it possible to record using large gallery view?

Yes, but the large gallery view isn’t supported yet. *edit* Still only 2x2.

Tried this as a preview option in Teams this morning, grid was 4x4 for my meeting and at one point was 2x3 beside 2x4, so quite adaptive.  However I seemed to lose the ability to mute individuals from the grid view as there was no "..." option.  Reverting to 3x3 Gallery reinstated this.

@ChristianBergstrom 

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution

@Timkim Hello! You're absolutely right. 3x3 is the max simultaneously video layout right now, but as you can tell from the topic this is going to increase to 7x7. No further info though. Talked to a Microsoft representative today and she gave me the same info that's already out there "It's coming, can't say when".

View solution in original post