Teams has too many notifications, and too many types of notifications

Copper Contributor

We use Teams at my organization.  It started off great, especially with the GIF integration.

Well, let me clarify that.  Once I turned off ALL the notifications, it was good.  Literally all.  100% of notifications that could be turned off.  10/10 turned off.  All of them.

Well now there are a bunch of notifications with no controls to turn off, and it's driving me nuts.  I spend more time in teams clearing notifications that I don't want, don't need, and no one should have programmed to begin with, than I do chatting.  I spent like 30 minutes typing this up, sourcing it, etc.  That's how much catharsis I needed for the rage of this stupidity.

By my count, there are 4(!!!!!) different notification bars within the application, and then random full screen notification about random stuff, and still other ways to notify me of things I don't need to be notified about.  I just cleared a double tap notification (back-to-back) about a new feature that wasn't even new!

Stop. The. Notifications.  I don't care.  I'm busy doing stuff and you are derailing my train of thought.  I don't care what your justification is for the notifications. Stop.  You are raping my attention span.

Notifications:

1. Full width top bar, usually white text on a black background.

2. Conversation/chat-width top bar, usually white text on a black background

3. Conversation/chat-width bottom bar, tells about out of office messages in a group chat.  White text on a black background.  You have to clear this notification every time you come back to the chat.  Our chat usually has someone out of the office, so this one is especially annoying.

4. In-meeting notification about call controls.  Ever. Single. Call.  I don't care.  We have multiple call programs here, stop telling me about it.  You're taking up 5-15% of the screen real estate for something I've known about for a year.

5. Pop up notifications with an arrow pointing out new features

6. Full screen or large window-sized popups that dim the whole program.

7. Random post-meeting solicitation about feedback.  No.  Have a specific button somewhere to report feedback for a meeting/call.  Not a notification.

"So that’s what days were like. A bunch of tiny frustrations, and a bunch of tiny successes. But they added up. Even something which seems like a tiny, inconsequential frustration affects your mood. Your emotions don’t seem to care about the magnitude of the event, only the quality.

And I started to learn that the days when I was happiest were the days with lots of small successes and few small frustrations."

Joel Spolsky, https://www.joelonsoftware.com/2001/10/24/user-interface-design-for-programmers/, https://www.joelonsoftware.com/2000/04/10/controlling-your-environment-makes-you-happy/, emphasis mine

"Notifications are anti UX. They are a distraction. So how to design your notification so that it becomes purposeful and useful?"

https://uxplanet.org/how-to-design-notifications-for-better-ux-6fb0711be54d

emphasis mine

I came up with a joke recently, sparked by my use of Teams.  It goes like this:

"How do you know if software was made by a millenial?

Don't worry, it will notify you!"

I'm a millenial, and this joke is based on a similar one about vegans.

I don't want your notifications.  Turn them off, or let me turn them off.

4 Replies

@randomtechyguy 

Hi, It sounds like you have either had the notifications all enabled, or disabled?  Have you tried modifying the notifications more selectively from the settings as shown below?

Screenshot 2020-09-29 at 22.40.07.png

@PeterRising I don't know how/where the miscommunication was, but somehow, you completely misunderstood me and are offering a nonsensical solution, possibly a scattershot or spaghetti solution, sometimes known as a "hail Mary".

Thank you, randomtechguy. I see I am not completely alone in this world. Since mine is the first empathetic response in the nine or so months since your post, there's not much hope for either of us, though. There should also be a method for thinning legitimate notices. If I don't have chat notifications turned on, I may not see a chat message for hours or more. If, on the other hand, a fast typist takes three messages of one or two words to convey the simplest of thoughts while others are also actively participating, I have to completely exit teams for several hours to simmer down. Can't there be a notification limiter? perhaps no more than one per minute? five minutes? fifteen minutes? When I get irritated should be my choice, not some twenty-something junior teammate who thinks pay raises are based on message count rather than quality output.
Making things more complex with rate limiters only feeds the legitimacy of the notifications to begin with. Back in the day, notifications used to fade out and be less obtrusive. Now, it's like all the people making popups and toolbars are in charge of Enterprise software and it's like HEY HEY HEY HEY PAY ATTENTION TO ME THIS IS A POPUP I'M GOING TO DERAIL YOU TRAIN OF THOUGHT WITH A BAJILLION NOTIFICATIONS EVERY 3 SECONDS!!!!oneone