SOLVED

Teams guests can't see Lists or SharePoint tabs, no matter what I do

Brass Contributor

I have tried every possible thing I can think of to be able to see Lists (or SharePoint) tabs inside of Teams for guest users, but they just don't show up. Not an admin of the tenant in question (which started off fairly locked down), but it works fine in my development tenant where everything is wide open with apps permissions-wise. The guest user can access Lists via SharePoint on the web, but the Lists tabs just don't even show up for guests. Just wondering if there's some secret set of options I'm not aware of that need to be 'unlocked' to make this happen.

I have added both Lists and SharePoint to be globally allowed but I'm still not seeing them.

8 Replies
Hi!
So they can access those same resources directly from SharePoint, but not from the list tabs in Teams?

Sounds strange! Is it the same from desktop and web client?

Adam

@adam deltinger Yeah they can access the list directly in SharePoint on the web, but the tabs for these (but not all) apps just don't show up in Teams in this tenant. Presumably somewhere in the Teams apps settings something is still set to be blocked or deactivated in some way but it's very unclear where.

Hmm, there’s no settings to “hide tabs”! Do a full logout of the Teams client
It's not a client thing this persists when you clear cache on desktop and web version. It's not that there's a setting to hide tabs it's that something at the teams admin level is set to not allow guests access to these apps. I've just looked through everything in the admin centre at it really seems like it should be visible but these apps are not (while apps tabs like Forms and Website are visible to guests). It's really weird.
There’s aren’t any of these settings! Even if you don’t allow something, the tabs would show. Worst case they don’t have access to the content in case you’ve restricted anything. And they can access it anyways outside of teams!

I’d create a ticket for this
Curious, are the lists and SHarePoint tabs linking to content inside the Team or to another SharePoint Site / location?
best response confirmed by VI_Migration (Silver Contributor)
Solution
Yeah it has been trying weird trying to diagnose this. From the beginning, the global policy in the tenant has been that Lists and SharePoint (along with almost everything else, welcome to government) are deactivated in Teams, but when I got permission to create the tabs, they were showing up for other members of the tenant, but they weren't showing up for guests (hence, my question).

2 days ago, my admin made the configuration change to set the global policy for Lists and SharePoint to Allow, giving anybody the ability to create those tabs within about 8 hours of making the changes. After that happened, yesterday morning, is when I ran out of things to try and made the post here.

Then, yesterday evening (about 36 hours after the change was made initially) suddenly those tabs started showing up for guests, making it clear it was that initial configuration change, but also making me wonder why it took so much longer for those changes to kick in than the others.

Anyways, thanks for all the help, fortunately, it seems like it was just a VERY slow CDN propagation (? maybe) issue and things appear to be working as I would expect. I'm not sure it makes sense to create a ticket because I can replicate the behaviour on my dev tenant of making certain tabs disappear from Teams by turning off the apps for certain users.
Great to see it working now! Solution: wait for propagation!

Adam
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by VI_Migration (Silver Contributor)
Solution
Yeah it has been trying weird trying to diagnose this. From the beginning, the global policy in the tenant has been that Lists and SharePoint (along with almost everything else, welcome to government) are deactivated in Teams, but when I got permission to create the tabs, they were showing up for other members of the tenant, but they weren't showing up for guests (hence, my question).

2 days ago, my admin made the configuration change to set the global policy for Lists and SharePoint to Allow, giving anybody the ability to create those tabs within about 8 hours of making the changes. After that happened, yesterday morning, is when I ran out of things to try and made the post here.

Then, yesterday evening (about 36 hours after the change was made initially) suddenly those tabs started showing up for guests, making it clear it was that initial configuration change, but also making me wonder why it took so much longer for those changes to kick in than the others.

Anyways, thanks for all the help, fortunately, it seems like it was just a VERY slow CDN propagation (? maybe) issue and things appear to be working as I would expect. I'm not sure it makes sense to create a ticket because I can replicate the behaviour on my dev tenant of making certain tabs disappear from Teams by turning off the apps for certain users.

View solution in original post