08-06-2019 01:33 AM
08-06-2019 01:33 AM
I'm working on creating a Teams app for inviting external guests to a team using graph API. As part of the process I'm doing the following:
1. Submit a form for adding a guest by providing a guest email address
2. Send an Invite to the guest using create invite api with a redirect url of teams.microsoft.com
3. Immediately add the guest user to the team
4. The guest gets a invitation url in their email
Once the guest clicks the invitation URL, the verification process is completed and they are prompted to create a new microsoft account. Until this point everything works fine. After this, a message is generated asking the user to create a free Teams account. If they proceed further, they land up in their own new organization and are not able to join the organization for which they were invited for.
What could be the problem here?
08-06-2019 04:40 AM - edited 08-06-2019 05:49 AM
Wanted to give a more deeper perspective on this problem based on the recent behavior observed.
The invite redemption email seems to be similar between the ones sent through graph api and through the Teams desktop app (while adding the guest through the manage team->add member dialog). However the behavior is different when the url in the email is clicked as seen below:
Teams APP: The user is taken through the following process:
- Email Verification (via verification code)
- Microsoft account creation & verification (via verification code)
- Automatic linking of microsoft account to Teams account
Graph API: Here the steps are slightly different
- Email verification
- Microsoft Account creation
- Teams account creation - this is an extra step when redeeming the url from the API. Here the guest is forced to create a new Teams account with a new organization. Eventually when you end up creating a team account, you end up in your own organization than the one you were invited to.
Has anyone seen this behavior?
08-07-2019 07:55 AM
08-08-2019 11:20 AM
08-09-2019 07:52 AM
@Rob EllisThere is just one email for the invitation. While the guest is invited and is visible in the o365 portal, it takes a while to appear in Teams. I confirmed with Microsoft that this is the default behavior and take up to 24hrs for the sync to happen. The invitation redemption process is just not smooth. Sometime we get reports from clients that it's going in an endless verification loop and in some cases 2-3 times and finally lets them in. Finally, adding more fuel to fire, if the guest is already signed to another teams, things get a bit complicated. In any case for now we've decided to live with this. Thanks for your help.
by fstorer on May 06, 2020
by Toby McDaid on May 01, 2020
by Tommy Clarke on September 27, 2017