SOLVED

Teams Free Privacy Settings Not Keeping Private

Copper Contributor

I have just set up a free Teams account and have created 2 brand new teams that we'll call Team 1 and Team 2. I want Team 1 and Team 2 to remain completely separate from each other - they are for different people that I collaborate with.

I have added 20 people to Team 1 and set up half a dozen channels, 2 public and the rest private.

I have added 1 person to Team 1 which currently just has 1 public channel.

The people in Team 1 cannot see Team 2 and don't show up as members of the public channel in Team 2.

I invited 1 person to Team 2 and they were then automatically also added to the public Channels in Team 1... and they shouldn't be in Team 1 at all.

What is going on here? MS Online Chat had no idea how to resolve this! Under 'Edit Team' both show as 'private' teams meaning in the case of Teams Free that only the owner can invite people to be members/guests. But surely I should be able to make Team 1 and Team 2 fully independent of each other so I can work with different sets of colleagues on totally unrelated work?

2 Replies
best response confirmed by Christopher Hoard (MVP)
Solution
The first team in Teams free is a org-wise team which means everyone will be added there by default, as you decribe too! But it should be showing private but org-wide!

Try creating another team instead of this one and invite the users there instead! It should do what you want

@adam deltinger if I understand you correctly, you are saying that Team 1 is accessible to everyone I invite to work in Teams with me regardless of which other team I actually invite them to... is that correct?

If this is the case I am completely stuck... I have set up Team 1 for a large group of people to collaborate, 20 so far any many more to add. I cannot move all that I have set up to another new Team.

I wish this was made clear in the Windows App when setting up your first team. I watched multiple training videos from MS and read various instructions from MS too and this wasn't covered. 

So now I think the only means I can use to create a totally separate team is to set up another Teams account. So frustrating that I've wasted this time.

But if I've understood totally wrong and there's a better solution, I'd love to hear it!

Thanks

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Christopher Hoard (MVP)
Solution
The first team in Teams free is a org-wise team which means everyone will be added there by default, as you decribe too! But it should be showing private but org-wide!

Try creating another team instead of this one and invite the users there instead! It should do what you want

View solution in original post