SOLVED

Teams for Free - "we cannot create a self-service azure ad account for you"

Copper Contributor

We're using Teams for Free. One of our colleagues has meetings with external contacts on a regular basis. When one of the external contacts sends us an invitation to their Team to collaborate on their files, we get the folling error: "We cannot create a self-service Azure AD account for you because "r******.com" [our domain] has disabled self-service account sign-up by email validation.

I don't understand this error since the colleague who tries to accept the invitation already got a working Teams account. I should mention, that we created an Office 365 tenant for our domain a couple of months ago which was never used. A couple of days ago I removed our domain from that specific tenant, thinking that would solve this issue. Unfortunately, it didn't. How to fix this?

Thanks in advance

3 Replies
Self Service sign-up is most likely disabled in the previous tenant that owned the domain:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/active-directory/enterprise-users/directory-self-service-sign...

You may need to readd the domain and enable it or ask the sender to use enable OTP as self-service sign up is being depreciated soon.

https://seanmcavinue.net/2020/12/01/microsoft-are-removing-support-for-redemption-of-invitations-by-...

@SeanMcAvinue 

Thank you. I opened a support ticket asked to delete the tenant entirely since it's not in use anyway. Do you think that would solve my problem?

best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution
A support ticket should be able to resolve the issue. I suspect the setting was set at a domain level originally and when the domain was removed this flag was not cleared.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution
A support ticket should be able to resolve the issue. I suspect the setting was set at a domain level originally and when the domain was removed this flag was not cleared.

View solution in original post