SOLVED

Teams Files Sync button only available on MacOS, not Windows

Copper Contributor

The Sync button is only available on our Macs (desktop app and Chrome).  Our Windows computer do not have the Sync button (desktop app and Chrome).  Teams app versions listed below.  Has anyone else seen this behavior?  Any ideas on how to resolve this for our Windows users would be helpful.

Mac Teams Desktop App Version 1.3.00.18164 (sync was there in version 1.3.00.362)

Windows Teams Desktop App Version 1.3.00.19173 (64-bit)

Windows 10 (several versions tested), in and out of our AD domain

4 Replies
Well that makes a change as it is normally the other way round for things like this.

So the sync option is going to be making use of the OneDrive for Business Client. I didn't think it was a prerequisite for the option to show but is the sync client installed on the Windows machine, normally available by default if Windows 10.

How does the office installation compare on the Mac and Windows?

Also out of interest if you click on the files tab of a channel and open in SharePoint. Do you have the sync option directly in the SharePoint library.

Thanks

Henry

@HenryPhillipsNimbitech  Yep, the OneDrive for Business Client is installed in Windows.  If it wasn't it would prompt me to install it, if I had the sync button to select.

Several versions of Office on the Mac (2016 and newer) as well as Windows (2016 and newer).  All the same, sync in MacOS Teams client not in Windows.

Yes, in Windows the sync option is there in Sharepoint and I can successfully sync with the OneDrive client.

best response confirmed by jimatbutler (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@jimatbutler 

Mmmm, not sure then.

You could try the suggestion on: https://teams.rocks/2017/12/16/sync-teams-files-with-onedrive/#:~:text=If%20the%20Sync%20Button%20is... not sure how much legs it has though.

Also and I appreciate this doesn't give you an answer but I can confirm that the Sync option is present in that version of Teams for myself on Windows.

For information my Windows version is: 10.0.19041.1 

Thanks

Henry

@HenryPhillipsNimbitech 

It was a long shot but I followed the steps in that link you shared and the sync button showed up in my Windows Teams client.  Very odd that it was only our Windows clients.

Thanks for your help!!

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by jimatbutler (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@jimatbutler 

Mmmm, not sure then.

You could try the suggestion on: https://teams.rocks/2017/12/16/sync-teams-files-with-onedrive/#:~:text=If%20the%20Sync%20Button%20is... not sure how much legs it has though.

Also and I appreciate this doesn't give you an answer but I can confirm that the Sync option is present in that version of Teams for myself on Windows.

For information my Windows version is: 10.0.19041.1 

Thanks

Henry

View solution in original post