SOLVED

Teams External Chat

Copper Contributor

All the sudden today, chat with external contacts stopped working, and the contact shows as "Unknown User". I haven't changed any settings. Anyone could share some insights here? I tried different accounts, they all behave the same. 

Thanks.

12 Replies
Sounds like a client issue but to eliminate try web client. Same issue there?

@Chris Webb Same thing across desktop, web and mobile. I don't think think it is the client issue since teams essentially is a web app (desktop just wrapped under Electron). It has to be something in the back end, but I checked the teams setting, nothing has changed, (external is enabled, etc.)

I have same issue here in two separate tenancies starting today, Australia and Singapore.
Adding a new external user: We can't set up the conversation because your organizations are not set up to talk to each other
Unable to chat to external users: We ran into a problem sending this message. Try again later.
Unknown User: for people who can send me a message.
The external access of each look to allow (and were working yesterday)

@Deleted Exactly. It was working earlier today, and all the sudden it stopped working. Microsoft likely applied some updates in the back I guess.

Also having a similar issue today.

The contact is using SFB and I cannot send messages via the windows desktop app but can reply directly to them via the android teams app and web based.

They are showing up as "Unknown User" but appear online.

Microsoft starts to roll out the new native chat experience for external chats in this month I think. Maybe it is related to this update and will be "auto-fixed" after the rollout. Are your tenants in targeted release?

@svenseidenberg Not sure, Haven't seen any communication regarding the roll out for my tenants. Hopefully it will "auto-fix"...

Hey all, I'm having issues as well, going to reach out and see if I can't find something out on this. Native federation per message center is supposed to start this month, so could be related but the issue is effecting "New" external chats, if you use a contact you used previously, it seems to still be working fine.
best response confirmed by VI_Migration (Silver Contributor)
Solution

@Chris Webb Talked with Microsoft support, here is the incident details:

Issue communicating to federated users
TM194632, Microsoft Teams, Last updated: November 1, 2019 11:28 AM
Start time: October 31, 2019 5:00 PM
Status
Service degradation
User impact
Users are unable to communicate to federated users through Microsoft Teams and may see a 403 error.
Are you experiencing this issue?
Is this post helpful?

Latest message View history
Title: Issue communicating to federated users User Impact: Users are unable to communicate to federated users through Microsoft Teams and may see a 403 error. Current status: We've identified that a certificate configuration problem is causing the issue. We've deployed a build to the affected environments to update the configuration of the certificate, which is expected to complete within the next hour. Scope of impact: This issue impacts users who have never initiated federated chats in Microsoft Teams. Start time: Thursday, October 31, 2019, 5:00 PM (10/1/2019, 12:00 AM UTC) Estimated time to resolve: We believe that the fix will be completely deployed within the next hour. Root cause: A certificate configuration problem is preventing users from communicating with federated users through Microsoft Teams. Next update by: Friday, November 1, 2019, 1:00 PM (8:00 PM UTC)
Cool, thanks for the update!
Mine is working now.
Mine is working now too. Thanks guys.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by VI_Migration (Silver Contributor)
Solution

@Chris Webb Talked with Microsoft support, here is the incident details:

Issue communicating to federated users
TM194632, Microsoft Teams, Last updated: November 1, 2019 11:28 AM
Start time: October 31, 2019 5:00 PM
Status
Service degradation
User impact
Users are unable to communicate to federated users through Microsoft Teams and may see a 403 error.
Are you experiencing this issue?
Is this post helpful?

Latest message View history
Title: Issue communicating to federated users User Impact: Users are unable to communicate to federated users through Microsoft Teams and may see a 403 error. Current status: We've identified that a certificate configuration problem is causing the issue. We've deployed a build to the affected environments to update the configuration of the certificate, which is expected to complete within the next hour. Scope of impact: This issue impacts users who have never initiated federated chats in Microsoft Teams. Start time: Thursday, October 31, 2019, 5:00 PM (10/1/2019, 12:00 AM UTC) Estimated time to resolve: We believe that the fix will be completely deployed within the next hour. Root cause: A certificate configuration problem is preventing users from communicating with federated users through Microsoft Teams. Next update by: Friday, November 1, 2019, 1:00 PM (8:00 PM UTC)

View solution in original post