SOLVED

Teams external chat not working after upgrade

Copper Contributor

Hi

this is a weird thing... my company has it's teams setup "open" for all companies, and this other company I'm trying to contact with is as well open.

Before the upgrade, we were able to chat on skype for business. 

Now, both our companies got upgraded to "teams only", so skype for business is no longer an option.

On the desktop and on the web, when I receive a message from this company, I cannot reply, because I get this message

"Due to org policy changes, some chat and calling features are no longer available. Continue your conversation here."

If I press the link on "here", it opens a new teams chat window, this time with the skype for business logo. If I send a message on that chat window, the other person gets the message but cannot reply (same message as I have). So, effectively, in order to communicate, we need to use 2 chat windows...

The strangest part is that on my iPad this works perfectly. I can reply on the correct chat window. It's just on desktop and the web that this does not work.

Has anybody faced this issue?

Thanks,

Bruno

7 Replies
I have seen this issue before

Contact your administrator and ask them to ensure you are set to Teams Only mode. Once done, check with the people that you are communicating with that they are on Teams Only mode too - the presence of the Skype for Business Logo suggests they aren't

When you are both on Teams only mode you should have a smooth experience in Teams like you did do previously with Skype for Business

Hope that answers your question!

Best, Chris

@Christopher Hoard 

Thanks for your reply.

As I mentioned in the original post:

1) Upgrade to teams has been performed on both organizations, so "Teams only" mode is mandatory, right? In any case, please see attached print screens from the external access setting and the upgrade setting

2) On an iPad, it works fine... it's just on desktop and web that it doesn't

It must be something else

Thanks,

Bruno

best response confirmed by adam deltinger (MVP)
Solution

Sure, I was focusing on this part

If I press the link on "here", it opens a new teams chat window, this time with the skype for business logo

I would do the following to make sure it works

1.) Ensure, through Powershell that both of your users are 100% Teams only on the back end

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/skype/grant-csteamsupgradepolicy?view=skype-ps

You would use something like this

PS C:\> Grant-CsTeamsUpgradePolicy -PolicyName UpgradeToTeams -Identity mike@contoso.com

2.) Check it and make sure you are both on your respective lists in your tenant

Get-CSOnlineUser | select UserPrincipalName, teamsupgrade*

3.) Start a completely new chat with the other person

That 'ought' to fix it, may take a few hours to propagation and you may have to check back a few times in a 24 hour period, but from my experience of this issue, it should help to fix it. If it doesn't you can go down the routes of clearing the cache or re-installing the client

It is well known doing the upgrade in the TAC doesn't always have the desired effect and so falling back on the shell to re-propagate fixes a lot of it

Let me know how you get on

Best, Chris

Thanks

Not sure I will be able to do that, especially on the other organization.

However, it still feels strange that it has something to do with the user when it works well on iPad, right?
Sure, it is more a case of knowing that the bases have been checked. There is a few other things to check after. This just means we know that both are Teams only, both have been confirmed on the backend using Powershell, and that in starting a new conversation, it should work and that we shouldn't be seeing Skype for Business anywhere in Teams at this point

Best, Chris
I am having this exact same issue. I don't see a clear resolution here. Does anyone know how to start a completely new chat with an external user? I don't see a way to delete a chat, neither in the web app nor the desktop app. I wonder if that could help me. I have seen this with several external users.
After doing more testing, it seemed to be affecting the Mac desktop app the most. Reinstall of Teams did resolve it. I had to reinstall all of Microsoft Office and clear out a bunch of Library folders. For now, it is seems to be working.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by adam deltinger (MVP)
Solution

Sure, I was focusing on this part

If I press the link on "here", it opens a new teams chat window, this time with the skype for business logo

I would do the following to make sure it works

1.) Ensure, through Powershell that both of your users are 100% Teams only on the back end

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/skype/grant-csteamsupgradepolicy?view=skype-ps

You would use something like this

PS C:\> Grant-CsTeamsUpgradePolicy -PolicyName UpgradeToTeams -Identity mike@contoso.com

2.) Check it and make sure you are both on your respective lists in your tenant

Get-CSOnlineUser | select UserPrincipalName, teamsupgrade*

3.) Start a completely new chat with the other person

That 'ought' to fix it, may take a few hours to propagation and you may have to check back a few times in a 24 hour period, but from my experience of this issue, it should help to fix it. If it doesn't you can go down the routes of clearing the cache or re-installing the client

It is well known doing the upgrade in the TAC doesn't always have the desired effect and so falling back on the shell to re-propagate fixes a lot of it

Let me know how you get on

Best, Chris

View solution in original post