Teams error "We ran into a problem. Reconnecting..."

Brass Contributor

We have a large number of users reporting that when they launch Teams or try to join a meeting in Teams they encounter an error message that states either "We ran into a problem. Try again in a few minutes" or "We ran into a problem...Reconnecting...". Screenshots attached.

- This happens both on the company network and on VPN while at home.

- All PCs are running Windows 10 1809

- Issue occurs on multiple Dell laptop models

Things we have tried:

• Sign out of Teams and sign back in (defaults to UPN@domain.com)
  • Sign out of Teams and sign back in with the full email address instead of UPN@domain.com (example: "firstname.lastname@domain.com" instead of "UPN@domain.com")
    • This seems to have temporarily worked for some of the users that attempted this workaround on 9/14
  • Uninstall/Reinstall the Teams desktop app
  • Clear Teams cache in %appdata%\Microsoft\Teams
  • Uninstall/Update Teams mobile app
  • Clear cached credentials in Credential Manager
  • Update drivers/BIOS

Any input or advise would be much appreciated!

55 Replies

@Josiah_H 

I notice that you are connecting to  Teams either on your network, or via your VPN.  Are you able to connect directly to Teams via the internet and see if the experience is better.  Initial gut feeling is this is network related.

Having the Same issue here. I just opened it and it says this. My time is synchronised, i have good internet(its working fine like i can watch a youtube video while teams is stuck there). there is no network firewall and internet speeds are also good. i was using it like 3 hrs ago and had no problem

@PeterRising We've had our network team vet the network side of things. We currently have a ticket open with MS and waiting for approval for internal escalation to the MS product support engineers.

At this point we're pretty convinced it's a token-related issue. People are reporting that if they sign out of Teams and sign back in they have no issues the rest of the day, but the issue returns the next day.

@Josiah_H 

That is interesting,  Please let us know how you get on with MS support.  I hope they can resolve this for you.

@Josiah_H 

Would be interesting to know the result. 

So we have this problem occasionally, specially if a user sends a laptop to sleep at home (Via VPN) and opens from dock at work.

Also coming from Dock to Company wifi (requires VPN for server access)..

I understand that it maybe a token issue, especially where we come from an MFA enrolled company, I believe jumping from a non trusted to trusted / even jumping from different sites, will confuse the heck out of Teams. I understand why it would, but, surely Teams is clever enough to sort itself out rather than sit there an wait for our intervention...

I have the same issue on a mac pro over a vpn. I already tried signing in and out but did not work.

@Josiah_H Hello, try right-clicking Teams on your desktop and go to properties then go to "Compatability" then tick "run this for another device" I actually don't know but it's similar to that, and after that take windows 8 or windows 7 after that restart teams. Hope it works. 

I appreciate the response. I have seen that same workaround posted on several tech forums like this one, but it does not help us understand the root-cause to this issue. We have several thousand end-users, and that workaround is something that should be addressed on the Microsoft level

@Josiah_H 

Sign out

Close the application from Task Manager

Delete folder "%appdata%\Microsoft\Teams"

Open the app

Sign in again

You are all set!

It worked for me

@lauraross I have the same issue on my personal laptop. What shall I do for trouble shooting?

There have been a rather big issue today
https://twitter.com/MSFT365Status/status/1371571383004590081

Maybe that's why you had problems?

@MohamedAmr I am also having this issue and so far your suggestion has worked but the proof will be after a few days, thank you

This problem in the my laptop
Any permanent solution for this issue. I can see for the same issue there is a old problem ticket with Microsoft: Ticket number TM170445
Solution: Disable AdFender and Exit it. This should fix the problem.
Our company believes the split tunneling Teams with required MFA is causing this issue for us as well.

that's interesting because I believe MS recommends spilt tunneling for Teams to work optimally, right? @Justin-GOV 

Yes. Split-tunneling does improve Teams connectivity. But, since some Teams traffic is split and seen as off VPN, when the MFA token expires the rest of our Office services are on VPN. We conditionally allow lengthier VPN traffic without re-authorizing MFA so Teams thinks it needs MFA but Office says they already have it and the two services argue while the user is stuck.

@Josiah_H hi!
I´d tried all the suggestions in this conversation and the problem was still going on. What worked in my case was restarted the Wi-Fi modem and it works perfectly.

Hope this fworks for you!