SOLVED

Teams Emergency routing priority Subnets/WAP/Switch/Port

Copper Contributor

When setting up Emergency calling is there any priority if you have multiple items setup?

Example. You have the Subnet and the Switch setup. Same subnet could be on multiple switches. In my case I am thinking of a warehouse. Huge area with multiple switches but one subnet. Does one take priority?

Same thing with Wireless access points. Should we even include the subnet for the Wifi IPs? or keep separate with Subnets for only wired connections and BSSIDs for wifi connections?

2 Replies
best response confirmed by StaceeFrane (Microsoft)
Microsoft Verified Best Answer
Solution

Hi, @sgasco71 .  So, for others reading this answer, what your asking about is only possible with Direct Routing. For Calling Plans and Operator connect, it's not possible for customers to choose where their emergency calls go. 

But for customers with Direct Routing, they can configure network sites and assign a TeamsEmergencyCallRoutingPolicy to the network sites. In that case, when a user is located at a site which was assigned a policy, that per-site policy will be used. 

Re prioritization, the network policy takes precedence over the user-assigned policy.  Network sites only use subnets, and emegency call routing is only allowed by subnet.  Wap, switch, or switch/port policies and assignments aren't allowed.

For more info, see: Manage emergency call routing policies for Direct Routing - Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Learn

@roman_frillarte 

Thank you for the reply
I may have been unclear on what I was asking. I was asking more about Emergency locations and address notifications for emergency responder routing. I was not referring to notifications. Though your answer helped me under stand why my notifications worked with a direct routing person but not with a dialing plan user.

I did find an answer to my own question on the Priority for the Emergency location routing.

If there's an LIS match – an emergency location from the network element the Teams client is connected to is returned to the Teams client. The match is performed in the following order with the first matched result being returned:

1. WAP
  2. Ethernet switch/port
  3. Ethernet switch
  4. Subnet

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/configure-dynamic-emergency-calling

So my conclusion is that I will include the subnets of the wifi network bas a backup to WAP address. Just incase someone replaces a WAP and forgets to tell me, at least 911 will get to the building if not the specific part of the building. I also found that a Mac was not getting the BSSID of the WAP but a Windows computer was identifying the BSSID and the precise location. treating that as a separate problem.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by StaceeFrane (Microsoft)
Microsoft Verified Best Answer
Solution

Hi, @sgasco71 .  So, for others reading this answer, what your asking about is only possible with Direct Routing. For Calling Plans and Operator connect, it's not possible for customers to choose where their emergency calls go. 

But for customers with Direct Routing, they can configure network sites and assign a TeamsEmergencyCallRoutingPolicy to the network sites. In that case, when a user is located at a site which was assigned a policy, that per-site policy will be used. 

Re prioritization, the network policy takes precedence over the user-assigned policy.  Network sites only use subnets, and emegency call routing is only allowed by subnet.  Wap, switch, or switch/port policies and assignments aren't allowed.

For more info, see: Manage emergency call routing policies for Direct Routing - Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Learn

View solution in original post