Teams desktop app not observing daylight savings time

Copper Contributor

I'm currently having an issue with my Teams. I'm in the Mountain time zone, which recently switched to daylight savings. My system clock (Windows 10) has updated correctly, but Teams still believes it's behind an hour, despite multiple restarts. This only seems to occur with the desktop app. The web app has the correct time.

What can be done to fix this? Everything I've read suggests that it uses the system time/timezone, but that appears to be incorrect, otherwise my Teams would have the correct time.

What's interesting is that when I check the teams logs at 15:21, I see this:

Mon Mar 09 2020 14:21:18 GMT-0700 (GMT-07:00) <17724> -- info -- Focusing main window

Mountain Daylight time is GMT-0600, which is my current system timezone when you adjust for daylight savings. Why is Teams is using the unadjusted GMT-0700 instead?

11 Replies

@rpetti_ot I was able to fix this by changing my system timezone settings to Central with automatic DST adjustment turned off, then changing it back to MDT and restarting teams. I'm not sure why this happened. I'm guessing Teams doesn't check the timezone every time it starts up, only when it's been changed recently...

@rpetti_ot Hello, I have a similar issue here with Western Europe timezone. Since the US switched to DST last weekend the Teams Desktop app shows all timestamps an hour off.

How did you change the timezone. Using the settings app did not nothing for me. Even restarting after every change the Teams App always stays in the same (wrong) timezone.

Thank you

Best regards

Sascha

My company is impacted as well, and it is becoming a real issue for our 100,000 users.

MICROSOFT - Please, fix this.

I just had this with one of our clients. Signing out of Teams and signing back in got her time corrected. @rpetti_ot 

@Que9322  for us the only solutions have been: 

- Reboot

- If still happens, uninstall / reinstall Teams.

Thanks for that fix,@rpetti_ot.  Changing the time zone and daylight savings time, then changing them back also worked for me.  I didn't have to quit Teams for this to work, and on restarting Teams, it retained the corrected time zone.

Chris

Below steps worked for in my org.

Uninstall Teams Machine-Wide Installer
Reboot
Reinstall Teams

@mpddcf 

This is working in our organization and it seems to last and be a persistent fix (uninstall and reinstall of Teams, for us, only lasted some days or weeks).

1) Access the Windows 10 Control Panel and view by large or small icons.

2) Select "Date and Time" to open the Date and Time settings.

3) Select "Change Time Zone..."

4) Change the time zone to something different.

5) Send someone a test message in the Teams client and verify that the sent timestamp matches the Windows time in the taskbar. - If it does not match, have the user completely close out of the Teams client and open it up again to verify this change.

6) Change the time zone back to the appropriate zone.

7) Send someone another test message in the Teams client and verify that the sent timestamp matches the Windows time in the taskbar. - If it does not match, completely close out of the Teams client and open it up again to verify this change

Hi

Please go to your computer settings, Time & Language, and then turn off Automatic Daylight Saving.

Close the settings. Now your computer clock will go back by an hour.

Then again go to settings, Time & Language and Turn on Automatic Daylight saving.

Your computer will come back to normal time.

This time Microsoft Teams also will pick up the updated time.

Thanks

Hello, if this bug fixed? we are almost one year later !!

Microsoft needs to fix this. The Teams calendar does not handle daylight savings time properly for companies that span timezones..

PLEASE FIX THIS MICROSOFT.

@rpetti_ot