Teams crashes when editing Excel file by "Open in Desktop App"

Copper Contributor

As described in topic, I found that there is possibility that Teams may get crashed when editing Excel file shared in team by using "Open in Desktop App".

Not each time your do such operation can get Teams crashed, but it is about 1 out of 10 trials may get this happened.

I just wonder if anyone here has met the same problem and if there is any method to solve it.

My environment

Office: Office  professional plus 2013

18 Replies

Hi,

Do you get this on multiple computers or only one computer? Can you try to uninstall Teams and clear cache on your computer?

https://blog.valeconsulting.co.uk/2018/09/28/clear-the-microsoft-teams-client-cache/

Wonder if this is related to Teams at all...try opening the file from SharePoint to the desktop app instead and see if this is the same behavior.
Is it one file only or all excel files? And as Linus said, does this happen for several users?
Hi, As Adam suggested, can you open the file in SharePoint? Can you download the file to your desktop and edit the file? If you can edit the downloaded file, try this... Click on Start Menu and type 'upload' and select Office Upload Center, select Settings and select Delete Cache Files, See if this will resolve your issue. Regards, Anthony

@zhiyuan_chen 

Another test to see if it's really the Teams application is to open Teams from your browser and try and open the file from there.

If it's def the app and all of the other suggestions don't work, you might want to open a ticket with MS.

@Linus Cansby

I have received this feedback from several of my users.
Tried cache clear and Teams reinstall. But the Teams app crash problem remains the same.
It happens to several users. I'm not sure if all excel files has this problem, but I can reproduce it by just using a newly created blank excel file.
I have tried open excel file from the SharePoint Online site connected to my team. Yes, in this way Teams desktop app won't get crashed and everything works correctly.
Sure we can download the file to local desktop and edit. Selected Delete Cache Files in Office Upload Center as you instructed but still cannot solve the problem.
If open the file from Teams web app, the crash issue will not happen. So I think it can be sure that it 's the Teams app's problem.

Thank you very much for giving suggestions.

I have done several tests and found the way to reproduce the problem.

1. create a blank excel file and upload to any team you like.

2. open the file from File tab by using "Open in desktop app"

3. when file opened in Excel Desktop, edit it freely -> save and close the file

(if your Office desktop is Office2013/2016 MSI, you may get a windows prompted up to ask you to open the file twice... Anyway, that is another problem.)

4. repeat Step3 several times. When the 5th or 6th time you do Step3, you can get your Teams app crashed.

Do you get any error messages? for your step 3 - excel file open twice, there is a post and here is the link - https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Microsoft-Teams/Teams-desktop-app-opens-documents-twice/m-p/7... And my company has open a ticket with Microsoft. Will post resolution when it is resolve by Microsoft.
Hi Zhiyuan, Able to reproduce your error. I opened and closed a combination of Word and Excel documents and at the 6th time when the Office app try to open the doc by itself after I closed, Teams crashes. I was able to recreate the crash consistently on the 6th time. I will update my ticket with Microsoft with this additional issue
I'm also contacting with MS about this issue. Hope they can find out the reason.
Let us know how it goes!! I’ll try reproduce also!

@adam deltinger 

How about your result?

I got reply from MS that they cannot reproduce this case in their environment. I want to know if anyone else can reproduce this issue. At least I can trigger the problem consistently on my Win10 and Win7 PC, both with MS Office professional plus 2013

@zhiyuanChen I followed your steps and opened and edited 10 times without any problem. But I run Office 356 ProPlus and not the Office 2013 edition.

Have you tried to disable Add-ins in Excel?

I have sent collected related Teams Logs and Network traffic data to MS and received their reply that some timeout behavior can be triggered when using "Open in Desktop App". They are now contacting with Teams development department to correct it.

Though don't know the detail schedule when this case can be corrected, it seems that MS is handling on it now.

Thank you for the info. Out users have also been experiencing crashes when opening files. Hopefully MSFT corrects the issue soon.

@Alex Carlock 

As I mentioned in above post, another open twice issue may also happen when trying to open office files from Teams. I got a mail from MS that such issue has been fixed on 9/20.
(https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Microsoft-Teams/Teams-desktop-app-opens-documents-twice/m-p/7...)

In my test on my own tenant, it seems this Teams crash issue has also been fixed along with the open twice problem.