Teams CPU usage

Brass Contributor

CPU usage rate is running high and power usage very high on several instances and causing to Teams freeze, what can I do reduce the CPU consumption memory?

download (4).png

@Linus Cansby

@shubatschek

@Christopher Hoard

@Vasil Michev

@ChristianJBergstrom

@paul keijzers

@Satish2805

10 Replies

@ayenco 

Have you tried disabling 'GPU hardware acceleration' within the Teams client?

SatyendraSharma_0-1641310182383.png

Yes, have disabled the GPU still don't have any effect
Can you share the endpoint hardware specs?
Teams application up to date?
Clear Teams cache?

Some additional tips you could try - https://www.technipages.com/fix-microsoft-teams-high-cpu-and-memory-usage
Hi there Ayenco - is this during a meeting when you see this or any time before/after a meeting/call? As others have described, could you provide the repro steps that causes you to see this and your specs? Thanks.
This usually occur during teams meeting/presentation. The Teams app will freezes and crashed. My system spec are:
Core i7.
16 Gb Ram.
Processor speed 1.5GHz.
500Gb hard disk storage.
Windows 10 OS running.
Hi,
Do you use a large screen like a 4K monitor? If so, can you try to run Teams without that if you are using a laptop. Not really a solution but it might help.
While it's definitely normal for Teams to increase CPU usage during a meeting, particularly any large meeting with multiple videos on as the process increases it's need/dependency on the CPU, contiguous spiking is not ideal. There's a lot of work we're doing in this space to help for long-term performance gains and usage, but for the short-term to help you currently, I'd also recommend ensuring that your Intel CPU is running the latest bits as there have been regressions in the past builds there.

Hi Cosby, 

These are the system specification you were asking for:

My earlier laptop on which I faced the issue was

• Lenovo X280 
    • Intel i5 [ Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8250U CPU @ 1.60GHz, 1800 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s) ]
    • 8 GB RAM
    • 500GB SSD [ INTEL SSDPEKKF512G8L ]
    • Windows 10 21H1 (OS Build 19043.1165)

My current laptop is a

• HP Elitebook 830 G7 Notebook
    • Intel i7 1.8GHz [ Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10510U CPU @ 1.80GHz, 2304 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s) ],  
    • 16GB RAM
    • 500GB SSD [ SAMSUNG MZVLQ512HALU-000H1 ]
    • Windows 10 21H2 (OS Build 19044.1415)

My Lenovo laptop was replaced just about a month ago to address  the same high CPU usage issue I had with Teams.  The HP laptop I am using presently was issued just last month.   So, the suggestions you have shared are unlikely to make much of a difference.

My big concern with Microsoft is that whenever I report an issue on Teams, I am only suggested the very same steps:

1. Restart Teams
  2. Clear Cache and Restart Teams
  3. Clear Cache and Temporary directories and Restart Teams
  4. Reboot laptop
  5. Clear Cache & temporary files, reinstall Teams
  6. Upgrade laptop

Unfortunately, none of the above steps really address the root of the issue. 

The other concerns I have with Microsoft support are:

1. There is no useful diagnostic information captured (to be even hopeful of finding a resolution)
  2. Solutions stop at workarounds
  3. Most of the issues we are facing are discussed on Teams forums for several years now, with no permanent resolution
  4. I have not come across a root cause analysis report

@Sam Cosby 

My earlier laptop on which I faced the issue was
Lenovo X280
Intel i5 [ Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8250U CPU @ 1.60GHz, 1800 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s) ]
8 GB RAM
500GB SSD [ INTEL SSDPEKKF512G8L ]
Windows 10 21H1 (OS Build 19043.1165)
My current laptop is:
HP Elitebook 830 G7 Notebook
Intel i7 1.8GHz [ Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10510U CPU @ 1.80GHz, 2304 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s) ],
16GB RAM
500GB SSD [ SAMSUNG MZVLQ512HALU-000H1 ]
Windows 10 21H2 (OS Build 19044.1415)
My Lenovo laptop was replaced just about a month ago to address the same high CPU usage issue I had with Teams. The HP laptop I am using presently was issued just last month. So, the suggestions you have shared are unlikely to make much of a difference.

My big concern with Microsoft is that whenever I report an issue on Teams, I am only suggested the very same steps:
1. Restart Teams
2. Clear Cache and Restart Teams
3. Clear Cache and Temporary directories and Restart Teams
4. Reboot laptop
5. Clear Cache & temporary files, reinstall Teams
6. Upgrade laptop
Unfortunately, none of the above steps really address the root of the issue.
The other concerns I have with Microsoft support are:
There is no useful diagnostic information captured (to be even hopeful of finding a resolution)
Solutions stop at workarounds
Most of the issues we are facing are discussed on Teams forums for several years now, with no permanent resolution
I have not come across a root cause analysis report
Hi there, both machines in which you were using should suffice and are definitely up to our required hardware specs to use Teams (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/hardware-requirements-for-the-teams-app). Clearing cache has it's purposes, mainly for DB refreshing/policy refreshing/etc., but when it comes to performance around CPU/Memory throttling, clearing cache/restarts shouldn't have much to do with it unless there's a clear memory leak ongoing.

Can you validate when you're in a meeting, what the typical meeting load looks like? As in, multiple folks with videos on (10+?) and/or anything that could help in addition here? It might be ideal to capture a resource trace during the period to understand further around the diags as to what's occurring. Even w/ a 20H1 build, sometimes the Intel CPU binaries don't follow and it's often ideal to check to make sure it's up to date here: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/detect.html