Teams chat search function no longer shows context

Copper Contributor

I've had a recent rebuild of my PC, so I'm still trying to get everything set up as it was. One thing that is bugging me that I can't find an answer for is that when I do a search (i.e. ctrl+f) for a keyword in a chat with a colleague and select a message to read, Teams only shows the individual message I've selected. Up until my rebuild I had been able to see the full conversation history around this (i.e. the search just auto-scrolled me to the message I selected). Is there a way to get this function back? Thanks!

3 Replies
Hi, not sure but you're not alone having issues with the search function. As it worked before it could be a case of propagation or some underlying index waiting to be completed (just guessing here tbh). Give it some time and as you've got a rebuild you could perhaps be on a previous Teams version too, so check for updates (top right corner) and when that's completed sign out from the same location to have your settings refreshed.
The same thing happens to me. I can search for individual message fairly quickly, but I can't see the context and there's no way to scroll to that message in my chat history aside from manually going all the way back.
This is IMO a huge issue. Saved Chat messages (AKS a bookmarked chat) behaves the same way) making both virtually worthless functions unless the results are within some "recent" period of time. I have tried to discover what that time frame is but given how incredibly slow scrolling even one-on-one chat history I have not been able to spend the time required to do so not to mention my right index finger aching after scrolling forever.