Teams chat retention policy does not apply to 'recents' on left hand sidebar

Copper Contributor

We recently enabled a chat retention policy for 1:1 and 1:many chats and it is working as expected. However, I've noticed that the policy does not seem to apply to the 'recents' list on the left hand side panel. The last message typed to a user I can still see on the left even though if I click on the conversation all messages are gone. Is there a way to clean up the recents list and messages as well?

5 Replies
The retention policy policy for teams chat only supports messages there are at least 30 days old! Support for ->24 hours old chats are coming!
Your recent list are messages within 30 days
This makes sense. I'll try to explain my question better.... Lets say I have a chat conversation with a user. The user's name along with our conversation thread appears in the recent list. 30 days passes. If I click on the users name now I see that our thread of chats is gone on the right. However, under the user's name in the chat list I still see their last message even though it has been longer than 30 days. It is almost like it is caching the last message on the left. Is there a way to delete this since the retention policy doesn't remove it?
As You say this might be a caching issue! Have You tried to do a full logout / login or checked the web client in a private browser?
My first feeling is cache issue, but it does seem like a bug as well probably not accounted for in the client since those messages on the left side probably don't check or update until a new message alert comes in, and not on message deletion. It'll probably require an update on Teams start to update the recent list or something.
I've confirmed that signing in and out of the client does not change anything. Also, using the web client in incognito still shows the cached messages as well. If anyone has other ideas or if there is a good way to get this escalated please let me know. Thanks