Teams chat pop-out running into issues with retention policy

Copper Contributor

Something brought to my attention today from one of my users. We recently had the ability to do Teams chat popout, which is great. However we have noticed the popout feature doesn't work in a peculiar scenario. 

Our retention for chat is set to clear after 24 hours. Now if I'm chatting with someone daily and want to pop out a chat, even though the retention policy has erased some of our conversations, then that's not a problem. If I go to someone I have never chatted with on Teams and want to pop that chat box out before I message them, also not a problem.

However if there is someone I haven't chatted with in a week or so and I attempt to pop out a chat windows before I message them, the popout just gives me a spinning circle. Sometimes I get a message from Teams that says "Can't pop out this chat" and other times the box just spins until I close it. Only if I message that person first can I pop out the chat window.

Anyone else using Teams Retention policies running into this problem?

1 Reply

@hortonfj Same problem here.  Continually spinning wheel when I try to popout a chat window.