Teams chat message jumps to read

Copper Contributor

When one user sends Teams chat messages to another user , these messages are immediately marked as read to the sender even when the receiver hasn't read them. Teams Cache has been deleted already, nothing suspicious in the settings of both users. It's only between these two users and only one way. This happens also via the Teams Mobile App.

9 Replies
Difficult to say, either create an official support ticket or provide feedback via Help -> Give feedback
I agree this is very annoying. Especially because I have two computers simultaneously logged into teams. Whatever chat my other computer has open gets automatically marked as "read" even though that screen isn't even visible nor have I interacted with teams on that machine for a while.

Did you find out anything more about this? I am experiencing the same thing with one user interacting with one other user. Thx!! @Josh DeWitt 

@InnocentTugume I am also having this issue. Some chats randomly jump to read and messages get missed.

having this issue also, very annoying as you think someone has read your message and they actually haven't. Hasn't always been this way, seems to have only started happening in the last couple of months.
Facing same issue still ..Is there any workaround or resolution?

@InnocentTugume 

This has been happening to me for awhile now, and it's only one user. I've tried literally EVERYTHING to fix this but no matter what I do, messages from him are White 'New' Text for a split second, then go to the read 'grey' with no notification. When I have 'read receipts' turned on, he says that it appears that I read the message immediately. I've often missed messages from him because of this bug and it's really affecting my communication with him, plus giving the impression that I've received the information but am ignoring it. 

I've tried:
-Clearing cache on every device I have teams installed
-Uninstalling/Reinstalling on every device
-Uninstalling every other device I have teams installed, leaving only my work PC
-Changing 'Read Receipts' and other notification settings
-Muting/unmuting, marking as read, pinning, unpinning the user I'm having issue with
-Using the web client. It still happens on the web client! 

I wish there was an update for this problem, it's driving me insane and making my coworker think that I'm intentionally ignoring him :(

I just ran into this problem this morning and found a fix. If you're not in IT, have your IT log into the M365 admin portal and and them click on the Sign out of all sessions link for the user who is affected by this issue. 

This did it, I asked our IT to do exactly what you suggested and I can read the messages from one very important colleague of mine now. Thank you so much for sharing!