SOLVED

Teams chat history if i convert to shared mailbox

Copper Contributor

Hi 

What will happen to the Teams chat history if i convert the user account to a shared mailbox?

I need to know this because after the employee leaves the company we need to take his licence but we want to save the mailbox and the chat history from the Teams if its possible.   

4 Replies
Nothing. The chat history is preserved in teams and the compliance history in the mailbox hidden folders.

Hi Chris

Is there any way that i can download the chat history with the mails locally for archive reasons?

I managed to search true the security and compliance and eDiscovery but i can download the chats as a .pst file and import in the outlook. The problem is that the chats are not organized as chats but every line of text is presented as a new mail and it is confusing to understand. Or there is a other way of archiving mail and teams ? 

And if there is no way of backing the mail and teams history locally if i convert from shared mailbox to active is the teams history chat be saved after that?

Thanks @Chris Webb 

best response confirmed by JaneTheAdmin (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@JaneTheAdmin as the mailbox is the users primary mailbox and tied to that user account regardless of shared or not, it will be the one tied to the Teams account. 

As for exporting, that's how it is, it's not meant to be a chat archive, but used for compliance. They announced some improvements at ignite for viewing the conversations, didn't catch if it helped with exporting but those are probably not launched just yet. 

Yeah, in the new e Discovery center You can easily read the threaded convos! But as Chris said dunno if this is exported like this too
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by JaneTheAdmin (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@JaneTheAdmin as the mailbox is the users primary mailbox and tied to that user account regardless of shared or not, it will be the one tied to the Teams account. 

As for exporting, that's how it is, it's not meant to be a chat archive, but used for compliance. They announced some improvements at ignite for viewing the conversations, didn't catch if it helped with exporting but those are probably not launched just yet. 

View solution in original post