Teams Channel Posts and the Files Folder

Copper Contributor

When people post images or files into a Teams Channel conversation, Teams automatically saves that image or file into the main Files directory for that channel, rather than in a more suitable location like a Chat subfolder.

This must be something people have been asking for, for years: How can we change this? Any Teams channel must look like an absolute burning pile of trash, with screenshots building up in the outermost directory of the Channel's file/folder tree.

9 Replies

@mike_302 

Files go into the channel folder, images do not, they are stored outside SharePoint like messages.

Hi @Steven Collier , unfortunately images are stored too if you use the "Attach" icon to send it.

If you use Copy/Paste resource, images won't be stored there. 

@thiagofonseca If you upload an image as a file from your local machine using the desktop or web version of Teams it will be a file. If you copy/paste, or insert an image on mobile or take a picture it won't be a file and will only be in the media service.

@Steven Collier How do we get to those images and use them in a sharepoint site?

@EricSpletzer AFAIK there isn't a way to access the Teams media service directly, so you would have to download/upload to get them into SharePoint. 

@Steven Collier Any News on this topic? Have you found a solution?

Just wait till CoPilot starts going through all these screenshots and outdated docs that are posted in these channels! :lol:

The best I found we can do for now is to designate team owners who are responsible for cleaning their own yards (ie files in channels) from time to time.

In addition to file management, they need to manage their channels, members, recordings, external contributors etc.

@DanielSchnyder I'm not aware of a 'solution', images are stored in the Teams media service, that's how it's been built.

Perhaps you could develop something that periodically looks at all the messages in a channel then accesses the associated images, downloads them then uploads them to SharePoint, but it seems like a lot of work.

I would look at what your business problem is and solve it a different way so the images end up where you need them, for example a PowerApp to take pictures and upload them.